cleaning questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengerman

Reaction score
I've been having cleaning issues with my mash tun.
The mash tun I clean with scalding hot water and dish soap followed by several rinses, then a towel dry. I remove the braidand clean it separately. Every time I go to brew I find mold on the inside. Obviously I clean and sanitize before I use it, but I'm wondering what I can do to avoid this.

I just rinse mine out with hot water to get all of the grain out of there. I don't see a need to really sanitize it. I dump all of the water out and leave the top off until the next brew. No problems so far.

Store it upside down, at an angle, so any moisture won't be staying on the bottom of the MLT.

No need to sanitize it, by the way. Clean is good enough!

Yooper said:
Store it upside down, at an angle, so any moisture won't be staying on the bottom of the MLT.

No need to sanitize it, by the way. Clean is good enough!

I know it's not necessary but it makes me feelbetter about the mold. Sounds like its more about my storage than my cleaning.I'd been storing it upright with the lid on to keep dirt and spiders out.

Yooper said:

Switched to this storage orientation and the MLT was clean and dry this time around. Thanks yoop!

Back