Cleaning my cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uSlackr

Gaughan Brewing... gone brewin'
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been all grain brewing for two years. I have a coleman cooler that works well. Cleaning is generally a good rinse with the hose and an air dry. The white liner is starting to brown. I've tried a PBW soak without much change. I've seen some nasty mash tuns and I'd rather mine not look like that. Any thoughts on how to reduce the browning? Thx

\\uSlackr

I've been using mine for nearly 10 years, with ONLY rinsing it out after, I think I've probably soaked it in something like oxyclean once...that's more hassle getting the soap smell/taste out than it's worht...it's pretty brown inside.... it means nothing, it doesn't affect the flavor of the beer at all. It just means it's well used and has made 100+ batches of great beer....

You could try bleaching it...then dealing with that headache of trying to get all vestiges of bleach out of it so THAT doesn't ruin your beer...you could try sun bleaching it...or you could just rdwha great beer you made with your stained mash tun. :p

F8B8ABF0-5756-4FF9-80B1-C4CE0AE75177_zpslzbkw06m.jpg

22CA25EC-297A-4BF9-8506-229D2A1DF9A2_zpsiwxlhxdy.jpg

*shrug* :)

I'm quite enjoying the red rye ale that I just kegged made out of that cooler.

Most guys just rinse out their cooler mash tuns w/ water. I'm anal, so I soak it with oxyclean for about an hour then rinse out, using a sponge to get at any brown spots. I doubt it makes much of a difference either way. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks. I soaked mine in PBW for a bit then scrubbed for a few minutes. Still brown, but less so. I'm not overly concerned, but figure if I do a bit each time, I can control it.

Thanks again

\\uSlackr

Latest posts

Back