Cleaning grain mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzukovsky

Reaction score
How does everyone clean their grain mills? Do you just run some water over it to rinse the rollers?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't. I would be concerned about rust. I occasionally use a soft wire brush to remove anything that cakes on the rollers, but otherwise nothing.

Sent from my XT907 using Home Brew mobile app

I just use a brush like the one I use to sweep dust off my table saw. I only do this so that it doesn't shed dust everywhere when I move it in and out of storage. There is so much crap in the grain you are buying that I wouldn't worry about trying to keep your grain mill spotless. Besides, using water will most likely result in rusty rollers.

Thank you everyone! I think air is the answer!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I tap it out. If necessary now it out with compressed air. I had to recently take it apart and clean the bearing surfaces and end of the roller surfaces as a build up had started make the turning of the sympathetic roller sticky.

Bringing up an old thread.

I was going to used compressed air to blow out my grain mill but have noticed the all the air cans I find now have a bittering agent to help prevent inhalant use.

Will the bittering agent flavor carry over to the mill and get on the grains?

I cant imagine it would. if those are used for electronics, no one would tolerate it leaving residue on the boards.

The compress air cans can leave some residue in some situations. I once blew in a tube we used a can of air on, and though it was dry i wanted to remove my tongue from my mouth. Forcibly, with a spoon. It was horrible!

Back