Cleaning Cycle! What am forgetting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-MG-

Reaction score
So, I have been on a cleaning rampage because of some off flavors that I think are being imparted on equipment in different stages.

I see this as a cleaning cycle to do maybe every 5-6 batches?

I plan to take a part all of my corny kegs and conduct the following:

Replace all o-rings.
Soak removed parts in PBW
Rinse all kegs with warm water
Recirculate PBW for 15 min for each keg
Rinse with same temp water
Recirculate Acid Cleaner #5 15 min (rinse? or wash?)
Rinse
Recirculate Star San for 5 min (add removed parts to this cleaning phase)
Put keg back together, seal it up with CO2 (any magic number?)

Now for my electric brewing equipment (HLT - Mash - BK)

Remove three piece ball valves and disassemble and inspect (maybe soak in PBW? while in pieces?)
Reassemble and do a warm water rinse of all equipment from kettles, to pumps, to CFC.
Recirculate 150 F PBW in each kettle for 15 min
Rinse
Recirculate warm water acid cleaner #5 (acid wash or rinse?)
Rinse

I'm not sure I see a reason to do a star san run on this equipment since it will end up getting boiled.

My BK has some sort of copper-ish deposits up to about the 8 gallon mark which is where most of my starting batches are right now. I see lines where I have scraped off some of it. I'm wondering if I should take some bar keepers friend and scrub it off with a blue scotch brite pad, or just let the pbw/acid do their thing?

I'm more interested in if I am missing anything than saving time and maybe just doing a PBW quick rinse.

The copper color stuff is probably beer stone which can impact flavor in a very small way, not detrimental but an impact. A gentle scrub pad, hot water, and oxy/pbw will take care of it easy enough.

I don't know that you need to hit it with the acid cleaner as well, PBW and starsan are extremely effective and cleaning and sanitizing. The biggest issue is that folks will fail to pull apart weldless fittings which really should be done every now and then. Also, make a plan to regularly replace your hose lines.

Back