Cleaning Carboy prior to brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWBrew

Reaction score
I've been brewing for about three years now and I have always soaked my fermenter in oxyclean the day before I brew as an extra precaution. I then sanitize the day of the brew.

I'm starting to think the extra step of soaking may be unnecessary since the fermenter is already clean from the previous brew day and stored it in a box to keep dust off it.

I wanted to see what others thought in case I can save a little time.

THanks

i clean my fermenters right after i keg, then dump in sanitizer water and let it sit with a lid and airlock. on brew day, i add a little more sanitizer to that water, and soak it for a few minutes. when i'm ready to fill it up with wort, i dump the sanitizer water in the next bucket and fill it with soon-to-be-beer

You can never be too thorough with your sanitation regimen. I typically give my carboy an oxyclean soak the night before a brew day and then hit it with some sanitizer on brew day morning, leaving the sani in until right before I fill it with wort.

My routine is similar to lumpher's. After kegging the beer, I immediately rinse the carboy with warm water, then fill it to the brim with a hot Oxyclean or PBW solution. I cap it with foil and let it soak for a day. The next day, I rinse it twice with warm water, then pour in a couple quarts of StarSan and swish it around real good. Finally, I dump out the StarSan (although there's still plenty of foam inside the carboy), then cap it with sanitized foil and a rubber band. It then sits on the shelf until it's needed again.

On brew day, I take a carboy down off the shelf, wrap it in BrewHauler straps, and swirl and dump out the remaining StarSan (the bubbles will have dissipated by now, leaving a small puddle of StarSan in the carboy) right before racking the chilled beer into it.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I should just err on the side of caution even though I'd probably be fine skipping the soak.

I also clean my carboys immediately upon emptying, then give them a rinse with Star San, leaving a cup of solution inside with a U-bung installed. When I need a carboy I dump out the old Star San, do a rinse with fresh mix and it's ready to go. No need for another cleaning...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back