cleaning beer out of a regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sea

Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yup, it happened.

After seven years of smugly assuring myself that check valves are unnecessary if you know what you are doing. For seven years i was right, but a freak accident with my temp controller caused my keezer to hit a chilly 19 degrees. Well, a couple of full kegs backflowed when the frozen liquid expanded enough to reach the gas dip tube. a mixture of apfelwine and IPA was dripping out of the weep hole on my regulator all night.

I will be installing check valves shortly, but my question is this:

How do i clean the sticky icky out of the reg? The only one I've disassembled in the past never worked right again.

Regulators are fairly simple devices consisting primarily of the main body, a diaphram, a needle valve and corresponding orifice, a spring and an adjustment screw, one or two gauges, a barbed fitting, a small shut off valve (often with a built in check valve. I would disassemble it and keep the parts in order so you can put it back together properly. I clean mine occasionally by soaking all of the parts in Oxyclean except the gauges. I then rinse all the parts well and let air dry. Before I reassemble the regulator, I coat all of the rubber parts with food grade silicone and wipe off any excess with a soft cloth. I've never had one fail to function after cleaning this way. Be sure to clean the gas line and keg connectors too. You can buy over-haul kits for most regulators if need be.

Back