Cleaning and Sanitizing Homemade Emersion Chiller Prior to First Use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Just made a homemade emersion chiller. Any sanitizing techniques I should use before I use it the first time. Washing, Star San, Etc? I really want to make sure this copper is clean as possible as the coil has been sitting for a year.

Also, I take it you have to dry your emersion chiller after each use and wash to prevent oxidation, is this true?

You should just be able to clean off any residue from the build with soap and water. Most people just sanitize them by putting them in the wort for the last 15 mins of the boil. When I'm done with mine, I just rinse it off, tip it upside down to drain it, give a quick wipe with a towel to keep it from dripping and let it air dry. Had it for a couple of years and it's still nice a shiny.

I boiled mine in a kettle of water to remove flux and anything else that might've wanted to come off.

You can also spray it down with regular white vinegar if you want to clean it and make it nice and shiny. I would also suggest doing a boil in a pot of water to make sure that everything is washed off and that your connections are all water tight prior to using it.

Back