Cleaning a Aluminum pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newby94

Reaction score
I have a Turkey Fryer and I was going to use the pot for a beer brew. I have used the pot to fry a Turkey. What should I use to clean and sanitize the pot with so it will be good to go..

i got a turkey fryer pot, washed it with barkeeper's friend and a copper scotch brite pad, rinsed super good and baked in oven at 350 for 20 minutes.

until i upgrade to a 10 gal stainless liquor tank, this works good enough.

you could add a detergent, dawn or joy or whatever to remove grease before the above steps.

fbold1 said:
Soap and water will clean the pot, boiling water in it sanitizes. when you brew beer you boil water. No problem.

Is bleach to harsh or should I just use dish soap and rinse

Bleach does not do anything to remove any remains of oil. Soap will remove the oil from the surface.

Bleach may pit the aluminum. I would not suggest it. I mean, the pot will be usable and not totally destroyed, but it is not a great idea to use stuff that erodes aluminum.

After it is degreased, boil water for a period of time so the aluminum darkens. This is an oxide surface that is non-reactive (because the Al has oxidized) and will help prevent the Al from the acidic mash

Epimetheus said:
Bleach does not do anything to remove any remains of oil. Soap will remove the oil from the surface.

Bleach may pit the aluminum. I would not suggest it. I mean, the pot will be usable and not totally destroyed, but it is not a great idea to use stuff that erodes aluminum.

After it is degreased, boil water for a period of time so the aluminum darkens. This is an oxide surface that is non-reactive (because the Al has oxidized) and will help prevent the Al from the acidic mash

Great advice guys thanks for the help doing my first batch tomorrow and just trying to dot the I and cross the T when it comes to sanitation

One more question. My kit came with B bright I've heard mixed reviews can I use this to clean and sanitize my fermenting bucket, should I use bleach to sanitize the bucket

I'd use the cleaner that they gave you, it's probably a no rinse cleaner as opposed to the bleach which must be well rinsed to prevent off flavors.

fbold1 said:
I'd use the cleaner that they gave you, it's probably a no rinse cleaner as opposed to the bleach which must be well rinsed to prevent off flavors.

The B-bright says rinse thoroughly on it.

I've never used it but I'm sure you will have no problems. when I first started brewing beer I worried that my batch would be ruined by some sneaky bacteria, but after many batches I have had no problems. As a first timer your equipment is probably new and should be easy to disinfect. After you have used it and it sits around, that is when mold can form and thorough cleaning is necessary.

Latest posts

Back