Clean or Replace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Found a 10g Cornelius keg on Craigslist; had a buddy pick it up from a guy who had not used it for over a decade. Long story short, doesn't look like it was stored properly, so the posts/dip tubes are fairly corroded, etc. (picture below). As an aside I was interested to find that the entire dip/post assemblies come right off the keg; I've only seen 5g kegs before.

What's the best method for trying to clean these things up? Will soaking in PBW do it? CLR? Is there another relatively common chemical cleaner that will work?

Second question: where can a person get replacement dip tubes, etc. for this keg? If I don't end up being able to clean these up, or if I just decide I need a spare, who is likely to have one? I took a quick look around some of the retailers I normally use, but of course they just have parts for 5g kegs.

Appreciate any help!

Dip Tubes.jpg

The pic is not so great, but assuming they are Stainless, they should clean up pretty good. I'm wondering how they got corroded in the first place unless someone used the wrong stuff, or rigged up some "aftermarket" parts on there.

I think a careful soak in some rust away solution might work on stainless. Read the label first though. I know that stainless can be cleaned with an acid wash.

Latest posts

Back