Clean Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you recognized a three-sentence quote from a 1998 BYO article - and new where to find the current link to it. You obviously spend way too much time reading about brewing. Good to know I'm not the only one.

No, I just knew how I might could find the article using your link and the wayback machine :D

I had a bottle bomb once. Now I am a suspenders and belt bottler.

After I open a bottle of beer, it gets 1/4 - 1/3 filled with tap water. Hand over the top and shake a few times. Empty the bottle. Repeat the fill and shake step. Set bottle aside.

Bottles get a soak in PBW (NOT Oxyclean) and a good rinse with the brass water jet mentioned before.

I love my bottle pump and bottle tree. Each bottle gets pumped with Starsan and hangs on the tree until it gets filled and capped.

I used to clean my bottles, then got lazy and did the "rinse after pour, dry then sanitize before filling" and had no problems. Recently I had a dirty bottle and used a bottle brush hooked up to my drill to clean it. Just for shits and giggles I decided to do the same to the "clean" bottles I was getting ready to use. I was amazed at how quick my cleaning solution got dirty from my "clean" bottles. So, now I'm back to cleaning my bottles before use.

I had a bottle bomb once. Now I am a suspenders and belt bottler.

After I open a bottle of beer, it gets 1/4 - 1/3 filled with tap water. Hand over the top and shake a few times. Empty the bottle. Repeat the fill and shake step. Set bottle aside.

Bottles get a soak in PBW (NOT Oxyclean) and a good rinse with the brass water jet mentioned before.

I love my bottle pump and bottle tree. Each bottle gets pumped with Starsan and hangs on the tree until it gets filled and capped.

Why not Oxiclean?

Why not Oxiclean?

In the past, I have had problems with Oxyclean not rinsing clean. I am a right tool for the job kind of guy. PBW never failed me. I use it and do not worry.

Certainly others use Oxyclean and report, "I have never had a problem." There is a recipe for making a DIY PBW, which is lower cost.

Speaking for myself, I do not use enough PBW to bother with the time and energy to whip up a batch of DIY PBW.

Your situation could be different.

Back