Clawhammer System? Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
Anyone here have one of these BiAB Systems from Clawhammer? I’m thinking seriously about getting one. Seen a lot of videos and wanna pull the trigger on one but wanna hear from real home brewers about what you think, first. Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I have one, about 30 brews into it. I love it. I've retired my three tier system after brewing on one. I only have the 120v so it takes awhile to heat up to mash temp and from there to boil. That's the only drawback for me. They have the higher power one available now even though that still wouldn't be an option for me. My brew days are about 4 1/2 hours typically, including clean up. I'll start heating the mash water and mill my grains, measure out hops and brewing salts while it's heating. Pretty painless. Set your timers and check on it when it's time but I love the convenience of brewing indoors especially when it's damn cold outside (or too damn hot!). Makes some outstanding brew. Overall I give it an A. I would buy it again. Cheers!

I looked at Clawhammer as well. Wanted the 240C version but didn't have a dedicated line and didn't want to incur the extra expense of adding it. So I opted for the High Gravity System. It has the Blickmann Boil Coil (2200 watts) vs 1600 for Clawhammer. Plus the HG system comes with an EZBoil controller.
You may want to take a look at them to see if it fits your needs.

Last edited:
I looked at Clawhammer as well. Wanted the 240C version but didn't have a dedicated line and didn't want to incur the extra expense of adding it. So I opted for the High Gravity System. It has the Blickmann Boil Coil (2200 watts) vs 1600 for Clawhammer. Plus the BY system comes with an EZBoil controller.
You may want to take a look at them to see if it fits your needs.
I wonder if the blichmann boil coil would fit without modification into the clawhanmer kettle and work with their controller. 2200watts off a 120v plug sounds pretty good although I admit I have a poor understanding about all things electrical.

I’m not worried too much about brewing fast. I smoke a lot of meat so waiting and long days don’t bother me much. I don’t have a 240 wired up unless I unplug my dryer. And the wife won’t go for me messing with her dryer. Lol.

I wonder if the blichmann boil coil would fit without modification into the clawhanmer kettle and work with their controller. 2200watts off a 120v plug sounds pretty good although I admit I have a poor understanding about all things electrical.
The Boil coil has a different connection and would require modification to the kettle.

I’m not worried too much about brewing fast. I smoke a lot of meat so waiting and long days don’t bother me much. I don’t have a 240 wired up unless I unplug my dryer. And the wife won’t go for me messing with her dryer. Lol.
I agree. I usually smoke meats as well when I brew so time wasn't a real big issue for me. The main time difference was clean up. having to run Oxy through the pump then clean water. Getting to strike temp and boiling wasn't much difference from my propane set up.

Just got my Clawhammer 120V system last week and looking to do my first brew on Monday or Tuesday. Did a test to bring water to temp and am generally pretty happy with it but will probably insulate it as recommended. Love the fact that I don't have to listen to a propane burner.

Attachments

• clawhammer.jpg
    clawhammer.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 221
Back