Clarityferm for gluten free - extra filtering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mindless2

Reaction score
Hey fellow brewers!
Any of you use clarityferm for gluten free??
From the forums I see it has great results!
I'm just wondering if the use of filtering is needed or maybe a secondary ferm. To reduce the sediment going into the keg or bottles??

Thanks
T

I use it for clarity so I don't know anything about the gluten aspects of it. I dump it in when I add the yeast. Nothing extra. When it is time - normal xfer to keg. No secondary no filter. Again I don't know anything about gluten or gluten free, but I get very nice comments from competitions on how clear my entries are.

I use a kiesesol and chitosan mixture (super-kleer) which nanoparticle silicon dioxide and long chain polysaccharide so no gluten in that, not vegan however (chitosan is extracted from shrimp shells) if you're giving your beer to a hippy/yuppy commune.

My understanding is that Clarityferm reduces the amount of gluten, but does not remove all the gluten. This is beneficial for people that have a gluten intolerance, but there might be too much gluten left for someone with Celiac.
<https://www.whitelabs.com/news/stone-beer-uses-clarity-ferm>

Ive used clarity ferm on coffee cream ale i brewed for my wife who is gluten sensitive but not celiacs, she absolutely loved the beer and had zero issues with her stomach from the beer. Clarity ferm is said to drop the gluten to <10ppm. It also clears up a beer very well with only a primary fermentation. The only noticeable difference i saw within two batches of the same beer (one with clarity ferm vs one "full gluten") was the mouthfeel of the gluten reduced beer seemed more watery to me and a couple friends.

nice, I have a few friends that are gluten sensitive...
Did you keg or bottle?
I was just worried about the sediment... if i needed to filter, for best results...

i kegged it first then filled a a couple six packs worth from the keg with a beer gun and had no sediment at all really we just finished the keg off about 2 weeks ago and it was brewed right before christmas....(my wife is a slow drinker)

My fiancee is at gluten intolerant, and can tell if her food has been tainted within an hour. ~25 batches all with Clarity Ferm and she has not had an issue with a single homebrew yet :mug:

I can't speak to the difference in clearing the beer since every batch except my first I have used it.

YMMV.

Edit: Moving beer to a secondary or not makes no difference, at least for her. I bottle everything and use a secondary for my IPAs to help reduce (boil) hop sediment going into the bottle, however that is more for beer appearance, she has never had an issue either way.

I have done 4 batches for a gluten intolerant friend and he has had no issues. Now I throw it in every batch regardless.

I have never filtered a batch. I typically either cold crash of the style requires clear beer, like a kolsch, or just transfer from primary right in to the keg and let it settle out when it chills. I have never had a problem though.

Awesome, thanks guys... I'm sold, tossed it into my English Bitter yesterday!

Latest posts

Back