Clarity issues in the keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
I just kegged for the first time, and for each of my multiple times I've bottled I've never had a problem with beer clarity. I did 2 things differently for this batch of ESB that I kegged:

1) I kegged
2) I put whirlflock in at 5 minutes to flame out per Midwest supplies websites instructions (previously I put it at 30 minutes)

About the beer: OG around 1.050, FG 1.012, primary fermentation for a week, secondary fermentation for 1.5 weeks, put in keg sanitized with Star-san (with bubbles still present), cooled to around 40-45 degrees, put on CO2 around 25 psi x 1 day, then lowered to 10 psi for the past 2 days. Tastes delicious, obviously not carbed all the way but I kinda like it better under-carbed.

Anyways, any help with clarity would be great. I've read that it may be cold haze from putting the keg in the fridge earlier than you would bottles. Thanks for any input!

Jason

It is going to take a week or two to clear. In the future if you cold crash it first then keg it will clear faster. Even after I keg now I do not even pull the first pint till after 2 weeks.

Besides, the first couple of pints are going to be cloudy. You have basically crash cooled in the keg. A lot of gunk has settled out of the beer and is piled up in the bottom of the keg. Give it time and you should be okay.

Back