Clarity Ferm in a Graff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brycelarson

Reaction score
So, I've done beers and I've done ciders. I've never done the mixed bag that is a Graff. Usually I just use time to clear my ciders. In this case I want it to drop clear quicker - what do people think about Clarity Ferm? Would it be useful or are the proteins in cider different than the ones it is designed to break down?

I think the original intent was to be able to consume the graff earlier than a normal cider (plus there's the hop/barley flavors also) so a little cloudiness early on is just the nature of the beast. You can use a clarity agent for aesthetics, but it won't change the flavor of the final product.

I'm not sure if Clarity Ferm breaks down the proteins or if it just makes them drop out....so it might just benefit from chilling the fermentation vessel down for a few days to see if you can clear it quicker.

Clarity ferm breaks down the proteins into smaller pieces, it doesn't just make them drop out. So it truly does clear the beer.

It will do nothing for the 4/5 of cider in your graff, it works specifically with proteins from barley and wheat

It will definitely clear that 1/5 of your beer. And if you want to serve it to anybody with a gluten allergy, it will potentially allow them to enjoy your gluten-reduced brew

I'm adding CF to Graff's for gluten reasons and can report it works very well for that. Side effect (for me) is that it is crystal clear!

edit: clicked on this thread in the 'similar thread' box, didn't check how old it was!

Back