Clarifying with Gelatine during Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nztayls

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am relatively new to kegging, and I am quite keen to clarify a porter I have just kegged. I have read up on using Gelatine - which is the way I'll go with this brew. The article says that the beer should be nice and cold before adding the gelatine.

So, for a beer that was at room temperature before going into the keg, I take it I leave it a day in the chiller, de-gas the keg, open the top, and just add the gelatine solution in before sealing it up again, purging it, and leaving it to continue carbing?

That is what I do, except my beer is usually cold before I keg because I cold crash. The only other thing I do is give the keg a swirl or two to mix it up. My preference it to cold crash and gel before kegging. But, it adds another 2 days to my process. So, I gel in the keg from time to time as well.

You can also add the dissolved gelatin to room temp kegged beer and then cold crash in the keg. Just note that it will require the cold crashing to get the gelatin to fine your beer.

My process is: heat water to 160F (no more), add gelatin and stir to dissolve, add dissolved gelatin to keg while still hot (120-160F), cold crash the keg. Works well.

Back