Clarifying Agents

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Irish moss in the boil (all grain). Then I dissolve two tablespoons of plain gelatin in a cup of water, bring to 180 degrees and cool and pitch to secondary when transferring. (do not boil)

This beer is the first pour out of my keg. 2 weeks from grain to glass.

Sterling_Pour1.jpg

Do you have to add more yeast when bottling then? ALso does it kill the head on beer?

I keep my bottles in the fridge for 1-2 weeks before drinking, which settles things out nicely. On a recent batch (currently carbing), I added gelatin to the bottling bucket. My theory is that by doing this as opposed to adding it to the primary (or secondary) wouldn't slow down carbonation as much while producing a fairly solid sediment layer at the bottom of the bottle that remains mostly undisturbed when pouring. Will see how it goes in about 2-3 weeks.

Do you grind the calandar first or just tear into strips before adding to the carboy? ;)

You can get gelatin very cheap in bulk at grocery stores that have a bulk foods section.

You don't have to worry about adding yeast at bottling time. There will always be some yeast in the beer unless you filter with a .3 micron filter.
Could tale a bit longer to carb, but that's about it.

Back