Clarifiers affect on Bottle Conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBurg

Reaction score
When using a clairifier such as gelatin to settle out the yeast, will the reduced amount of yeast in the bottled beer affect the carbonation process? Will more carbonation time be required?

some extra time may be required, but unless you are combining it with a lengthy cold crash or in a really high ABV beer, there should be plenty of yeast left to take care of business in a fairly timely manner.

I remember hearing a long time ago that while this might help make bottled beer clearer, the sediment at the bottom of the bottle is less stable to it's harder to pour a full clear pint, hence finings should be saved for kegging. Does anyone have any experience on this?

Thanks for the replies. I did notice that the batch I used gelatin as a clarifier has very loose sediment in the bottles. I used the gelatin because the fementation was stuck so I added more yeast.

My current batch was pretty clear when racking to the secondary, so I am leaning towards not using a clarifier.

I remember hearing a long time ago that while this might help make bottled beer clearer, the sediment at the bottom of the bottle is less stable to it's harder to pour a full clear pint, hence finings should be saved for kegging. Does anyone have any experience on this?
I haven't seen this. In fact one of the beers I recently used gelatin on, I used it specifically because the yeast I used (Wyeast1007) was very low-flocculating and powdery. That beer, now bottled for about 3 weeks, is currently the clearest beer I've ever made.

I haven't seen this. In fact one of the beers I recently used gelatin on, I used it specifically because the yeast I used (Wyeast1007) was very low-flocculating and powdery. That beer, now bottled for about 3 weeks, is currently the clearest beer I've ever made.

The batch I used gelatin in as a clarifier does have loose sediment. HOWEVER, I tried Munton's carbonation tablets for the first time on this batch, which might have contributed to the sediment.

I really have too many variables in this batch to draw any conclusions. It started out from a Brewer's Best kit, and when the fementation slowed after only three days, I got impatient and pitched more yeast. (A previous batch did not ferment the FG down as low as anticipated). I also threw in a half cup of sugar for extra fermentation. From that point on it really became an experimental batch. (It doesn't taste too bad though!)

Thanks to all your input, the consensus appears to be that using clarifiers will not affect bottle carbonation. I'll try it on a future batch, but keep that as the only variable to learn exactly what the affect might be on sediment.

Thanks all!

Back