Clarification on back sweetening options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck137

Reaction score
I have seen some suggestions on here and other places suggesting that Twin, or Equal be used to back sweeten...

I looked at the package and see they contain maltodextrin. Is this not dextrose?

I am just looking to sweeten a cider I have going, its almost ready to be bottled, just wanted to add a little non-frementable sweetener to it.

If I add the twin, or Equal, or something similar, plus the dextrose for priming, do I not run the risk over over priming and bottle bombs?

I know I could use Stevia or Xylotol or whatever, just that those seem to be somewhat rare and expensive. Cheers and thanks for the info.

I know its been asked before but could anyone recommend the best artificial sweetener, that is easily available?

Twin? Equal? Sweet and low? Splenda?

Thanks!

Never heard of twin, but I would never use Equal or Sweet and Low... both of those have that disgusting artificial sweetener taste.

What would you recommend?

Whole thing is somewhat of an experiment with leftover ingredients (yeast) I had, $10 worth of AJ, and $1 worth of brown sugar. If it gets me 9 liters of "something close to cider" I'll be happy. I guess this is the trail run...

I have never made a cider before, never back sweetened... lactose could work I guess. I dont recall seeing that one at the grocery store. Stevia or xyltol could work but it costs more than the actual ingredients I used haha. So I was looking for the cheap option, ie. Twin, splenda, sweet and low ect I dont think I am THAT cheap but spending $10 for some stevia for an $11 dollar cider seems against my experiment of making a cheap cider.

Of course, if there are no other options I will gladly buy the stevia or xylotol.

We don't sweeten before bottling, we bottle dry with just enough priming sugar, better yet frozen AJ concentrate. Then sweeten at serving with a spoon of FAJC if we think it's necessary. With Nottingham yeast we don't usually add anything.

Never heard of twin, but I would never use Equal or Sweet and Low... both of those have that disgusting artificial sweetener taste.

And the lingering pucker tongue aftertaste that I can't stand. YUCK.

Xylitol is what I use. Tastes just like sugar, no aftertaste. Yes it's expensive, but semi-sweet cider only needs about 3 TBSP per gallon. I get it at the local health food / vitamin store, but Amazon will ship it too.

If you're not carbonating the cider, (keeping it flat or still), you can stabilize with sorbate and campden and then sweeten to taste with anything at all- honey, sugar, apple juice concentrate.

It's easy to make a dry carbonated cider. It's easy to make a sweet still cider. The tricky part is to make a sweet carbonated cider. Either bottle pasteurization, or using an artificial sweetener is required for that. (Or kegging. Lots of people who keg cider do so just for that reason).

+1 for Xylitol. I use it in my sweet carbonated cider and also in my Crabbies ginger beer clone. It's the only way to go in my opinion. Artificial sweeteners have that bad taste and I've heard rumors about stevia giving bad flavor of too much is used and some say it may not be as good for you as once thought. Those are just rumors I've heard though. Also every Boulder hippie I've met likes stevia so that's reason enough to avoid it. :). Xylitol is a little more but worth it. I use a $10 1lb bag for three gallons and that get me sweet cider like the commercial stuff. That's a decent deal in my opinion.

Back