Cl/SO4 implications?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilhorse

Reaction score
'A malty beer benefits from a higher Cl:SO4 ratio whereas a hoppy beer is accentuated with a lower Cl:SO4 ratio'

(forgive me who I stole this above from I lost the link).

What is the benefit gained in flavour terms from high Cl:SO4 for a hoppy beer and conversely what is the benifit of low Cl:SO4 for malty beer? for example if one were to reverse the ratio on a given style what would the expected result be?

Ha, you 'reversed' the ratio in your own post (quoted part vs. your part).

It's just that those ions taste better when in those particular type beers. Having the wrong ratio usually won't hurt anything but it may not be as good as it could be. Also, keep either sodium or sulphate reasonably low. Allegedly if both are high it doesn't taste good but I never have the problem of having too much of both.

You stole the idea from British brewers and it was introduced to a broad US homebrewing audience by John Palmer.

German brewers have some slightly different ideas but think the ions are important.

Charlie Bamforth is the leading US brewing scientist and he doesn't think it matters much at all. The UK is the only place where mineral additions are common in commercial brewing.

My feeling is that if you want a beer to be maltier or hoppier, water shouldn't be the first thing that comes to mind in terms of how you might influence that.

Since I started adjusting water for color (RA), and CL/SO4 I have noticed my hops flavors has gotten smoother and stronger. I used to have more harsh flavors and bitterness, and some astringency.

I honestly can't say that it was due only to the salt adjustments, but I think my beers have tasted better since I started, both hoppy and malty.

Back