Citrusy IPA Recipe... Critique Needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petrolSpice

Reaction score
This is the first ever recipe I pulled out of my ass. I've brewed around a dozen times now and want to try one on my own.

My goal is a very floral and citrusy IPA that is fairly dry and clean, hence 2lb of honey. I got a bunch off sample hops from Yakima, Azacca being one of them. However I'm worried the Simcoe at flameout may overpower the Azacca dry hop. I want a nice nose on this one.

US-05 because I collected it from my last brew.

Mash at 152F. Maybe go 150F?

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.057
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.067
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 7.21%
IBU (tinseth): 55.71
SRM (morey): 3.93

FERMENTABLES:
10 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (81.6%)
0.25 lb - Flaked Barley (2%)
2 lb - Honey (16.3%) (late addition)

HOPS:
0.75 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.2, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 32.26
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 13.77
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 5.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 7.14
1 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.9, Use: Flameout/Whirlpool
2 oz - Azacca, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.3, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: Yes
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 66 F
Pitch Rate: 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)

When I initially read this I was going to suggest some citra. Then saw your note about the hops samples. Citra is my go to for citrusy now. Cascade is really good too. I have personally never used Azacca before. I would suggest maybe a little Crystal 60 just for a little color and some sweetness to balance out the bitter. This will ferment out very dry.

When I initially read this I was going to suggest some citra. Then saw your note about the hops samples. Citra is my go to for citrusy now. Cascade is really good too. I have personally never used Azacca before. I would suggest maybe a little Crystal 60 just for a little color and some sweetness to balance out the bitter. This will ferment out very dry.

I have Citra too, but I have all of these random samples I want to try. I could use Citra instead of Simcoe.

Here is my current arsenal of hops:

Variety - Amount(oz) - AA%
Azacca 2 8.3
Buzz Bullets 2 9.7
Cascade 12 5.5
Centennial 8 8.5
Chinook 8 11
Citra 3.5 14.1
Columbus 8 8.9
Comet 2 8.9
El Dorado 2 9
Equinox 2 14.6
Hallertau Blanc 2 7.7
Jarrylo 2 14.1
Lemon Drop 2 5.1
Magnum 1 13.2
Mandarina Bavaria 2 6.8
Mosaic 4 12.3
Pekko 2 15.6
Simcoe 4 12.9
Warrior 2 14.3
Zythos 2 9.1

Would love to have that in my freezer. I love citra. Have used it 4 times now. I love the aroma and love the flavor. It's not that bitter either so you can get a ton of hop flavor without having that bitter bite (i like hoppy beers that arnt to bitter). I made a honey citra hmmm not sure if I would call it an IPA would be closer to an APA that was amazing. I'll post the recipe. I find there is a ton of grapefruit/tropical fruit aroma with a slightly Limey citrus flavor without the bitter punch. It complimented the honey aroma nicely. I'll post the recipe
I used. It converted a few home brew haters to home brew lovers.

I'd drop all the honey, add more base malt, and double the hops.

You don't need a 100% fermentable sugar in there for such a modest gravity beer.

I'd drop all the honey, add more base malt, and double the hops.

You don't need a 100% fermentable sugar in there for such a modest gravity beer.

Without the sugar my brews are coming out too sweet and malty for my tastes. I'd like to tone that down a notch. I'll use less honey.

Moar hops.

For more IBU or more aroma? I'm trying to keep the dry hop to a single variety. I'd like to use some of my weird varieties for the dry hop, and I only have 2oz of most of the weird ones.

Maybe throw in a bit more hops at flameout and/or wait until the worts cooled down a bit to (180 Fahrenheit or so) and add some more hops for half an hour of so. A cooler dry hop is great for aroma is not perhaps the most efficient.

If you're looking to make a floral and citrusy IPA, I recommend using Centennial hops, its aroma profile is floral & citrus.

I just brewed almost exactly what you are describing, a citrusy\floral IPA, I used the following hops:
Magnum - 60 min bittering
Centennial hops, its aroma profile is floral & citrus
Citra - its aroma profile is citrus & tropical fruit
Chinook - its aroma profile is citrus & spicy pine
Summit - its aroma profile is - citrus, spicy & herbal

I used the Magnum as my bittering (60 mins), I added the rest of the hops at 20 mins, and more Citra at flameout, a total of 4.50 oz.
I used Chinook, Citra, Summit, & Centennial to dry hop, a total of 4 oz. added to dry hop.

I'm not an expert brewer, but this is what worked for me.

If you're looking for fairly dry and clean I highly recommend using WLP090 - San Diego Super Yeast the following is taken from the White Labs web site:
"A super clean, super-fast fermenting strain. A low ester-producing strain that results in a balanced, neutral flavor and aroma profile."
This yeast ferments fast and clean, it fermented from OG 1.080 to 1.010 in 3 days. It fermented so fast that I had to fill the airlock twice during fermentation.

You have got some good advice so far. Although for what its worth, Jarrylo is a great hop too. I think replacing Magnum with chinook or Columbus, since you have a seriously impressive arsenal of hops at the moment, for your bittering hop. And would definitely say if you are going for a citrusy IPA citra should replace simcoe. And I would like to know how you got a hold of so many "samples" of hops, because I am up for try a few, for the good of all fellow home brewers.

I absolutely LOVE Azacca hops. I'd add them as knockout hops, and dry hops. And I'd add some Simcoe to the dry hops. I find a 2:1 Azacca to Simcoe to be super tasty. And why the 30 minute addition? All that lovey Cascade goodness will boil away in 30 minutes. Maybe whirlpool them or the Azacca and Somcoe to get those IBUs? Just my opinion.

Back