Citric Acid on Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakesideBrewing

Reaction score
Hi all,

I brewed a Lambic a year ago with the intention of adding fruit at some point. My original thoughts was to add cherries or raspberries, but now I'm leaning towards peaches. I have found a good source for fresh/frozen peaches but they are packed with citric acid added. No other preservatives, just the acid to prevent the fruit from oxidizing. Can I still use these peaches in my beer? I've searched for an answer, but really couldn't find a definitive yes or no.

Thanks,
Mike

The citric acid shouldn't cause any issues, I've used apple juice with citric acid to grow Lacto before.

However, I will say that peaches are one of the fruits that are most dependent on ripeness. I've had great luck with over-ripe farmer's market peaches (white especially), but I've also tasted some very mediocre sour beers brewed with frozen, canned, out-of-season fruit.

I've had good luck with fresh then frozen by me, peaches, currently doing a beer that was racked on 6 month old peaches. Again, these were prepared by me with no preservatives. You should probably be fine. If you have a source for fresh though, do that, freeze them yourself. Air browned peaches still taste like peaches in beer. That's only done for visual appeal (vit c)

Back