Citric Acid in Recipies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patwik101

Reaction score
I started to brew about a month ago. I'm on my second kit. Everything seems simple enough. However, it came with a package of Citric Acid. I have been looking all over the place and I've read were some brewers have said to use this, and some have said that it does not really effect the flavor or the outcome. I was hoping for a little advice. When should I add this to the wort process, assuming that is when I add it. Is it even worth adding in the first place ?

Don't add acid unless you know exactly what you're doing. It's more likely to hinder than help. What kind of kit did it come in?

That is really strange. I wouldn't use it. Maybe in a Wit or something, but I don't want my trippel to be sour.

Hey Nateo. Just thought I would follow up. I just tried my first beer from my first attempt at brewing. It tastes great. Thank you for the advice.

Yes, skip the acid unless you know why you are using it. It has no place in a trippel unless they are giving it to you for water adjustments, which is unlikely.

Is it mentioned on a list of ingredients that came with your recipe kit? Where did you get your recipe kit?

The ironic thing is I have a tripel that got infected with some kind of lactic bacteria. It tastes great! So I take back what I said about sour tripels.

Latest posts

Back