Citrade IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerEngineer15

Reaction score
So here's my recipe for a Citrade IPA that I brewed a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to wait until it was ready for tasting before posting up the recipe. This was my first time doing an all grain batch on my own after being an assistant brewer to my friends.

This was originally going to be a Citrade Pale Ale but after heading to the LHBS and having to pick up some malts to replace things that they were out of I kicked up the hops in BeerSmith and changed the style to an IPA.

This was for a 5 gallon batch, I ended up getting cascade in whole hop form and they were way too high for a typical cascade AA at 8.90%. I changed this in Beersmith also, I'm not sure why they were so high but I triple checked the packaging. Citra was in pellet at 12.50% AA.

10 lbs US 2 Row
2 lbs Vienna
1 lb Crystal 40L
0.5 lbs Crystal 10L

1 oz Cascade 60 min
0.5 oz Cascade 30 min
1 oz Citra 15 min
1 oz Cascade 5 min

1 oz Citra day 7
2 oz Citra day 10 (I checked the aroma after a couple of days and found that it didn't have the aroma I wanted so I added more)

1 whirl floc tablet

Wyeast #1098 British Ale Yeast (made an 1800 mL starter)

Mash at 152F for 60 minutes. Fly sparge for around 40 minutes at 168F.

I didn't get a good efficiency on my mash with a pre-boil gravity of 1.050, I was shooting for 1.060 but again this was my first time doing all grain myself so I have to deal with it. 7 days in primary, 14 days in secondary, 4 weeks in bottle conditioning. Added DME for carbonation for 2.3 vols.

Post-Boil OG - 1.061
After Primary SG - 1.018
After Secondary SG - 1.011

ABV - 6.7%

Flavor on this beer is spot on to what I was going for. I wanted a nice little citrus nose but a big hit of nice hops with that awesome cascade floral/citrus flavor. The one big downside that I had was that this beer is super cloudy. Next time I'm adding Irish Moss to this recipe and going to cold crash the carboy before bottling. I didn't have the equipment to cold crash when I made this so next time I'm expecting it to be a lot clearer.

Overall this was a pretty good beer, unfortunately my rating of this dropped because of the appearance with the cloudiness but the head retention is perfect on this and the flavor is great.

Recommendations are always appreciated so if you think that you have a modification on this one please post it up! If you need more info let me know.

BeerEngineer15

I made something similar recently, and the one thing you could change next time is use more hops. I think I made mine with 9oz of hops. Only 3 of which were dry hopped. Turned out awesome.

Hi there, I'm kinda new to brewing and I was wondering a couple of things. When and how do you add Irish moss? And what is "cold crashing"? Thanks for any help. I really wanna learn as much as I can.

Hi there, I'm kinda new to brewing and I was wondering a couple of things. When and how do you add Irish moss? And what is "cold crashing"? Thanks for any help. I really wanna learn as much as I can.

Add the irish moss directly to the boil with 15 minutes left in the boil..cold crashing is when you drop the temp of the beer to get all the yeast and other suspended paeticles in the beer to drop out so its clear..

I made this again with the increase in the hops, I'll post up the exact recipe this weekend but it turned from a really good, very hoppy pale ale to a rocking IPA with only a couple of extra additions. I increased the grist also to get the ABV up a touch.

Back