American IPA Citracutioner IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disintegr8or

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
Nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
2 packs
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 68
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
None
Additional Fermentation
Dry Hop for 3 days
Tasting Notes
The malt and hop balance along with that EXPLOSIVE Citra nose is wonderful.
First off, if you love Citra, this is the IPA for you. It is basically a clone of Terrapin Hopsecutioner tweaked to be even better. This is the best IPA I've ever had. The malt and hop balance along with that EXPLOSIVE Citra nose is wonderful. Credit goes to cercueil for the starting point: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/guillotine-ipa-terrapins-hopsecutioner-clone-168549/

cc_zpsd720a869.jpg

For a 6 gallon batch:

14lbs 2 Row (2.0 SRM)
1lb, 8oz Munich Malt (20.0 SRM)
1lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
1lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM)

I mashed this @ 148 degrees for 90 minutes and mashed out at 168 degrees for 7 minutes (I am BIAB)

1oz Warrior (15.00%) FWH
1oz Simcoe (13.00%) 15 Mins
1oz Centennial (10.00%) 5 Mins
1oz Simcoe (13.00%) @ 180 Degrees during cool down
1oz Amarillo (8.5%) @ 180 Degrees during cool down
2 to 3 oz Citra Dry Hop for 3 days after fermentation complete

I fermented this @ 68 degrees and pitched (2) packs of rehydrated US-05. It was done by day 10 so I dry hopped for 3 days at 72 degrees, then cold crashed and bottled. I was drinking it day 20, but at day 28 it really came alive. I cannot wait to brew this again in a couple weeks. :mug:

Now that is a picture of a great brew! I love Citra but I'm not a fan of that much Honey Malt. How does it play in this beer? I would think 8 oz would be enough.
I love the hops and would likely want to more at 5 minutes.
The color is awesome and I love Victory and Munich together.

This looks great! I'm a new brewer living in Australia, but originally from the US. I can't find a decent IPA here to save my life, so I want to brew my own. I really like Hopsecutioner.

Since I'm only preparing for my second batch, I wanted to do a partial extract brew, and I was wondering if you could recommend some substitutions that would still come close to this recipe. Also, my local brew shop doesn't seem to carry most of the malts you've listed (they only have the Munich malt out of your list), but they DO have all of the hops listed here.

If I used a LME, and added the Munich malt for flavoring, and then added all of the hops as described in the recipe, how do you think it would turn out?

You can substitute 9 Lbs LME - Pale or 7.5 lbs DME - Pale

Steep the grains at 150 for 30 minutes:

Now I believe that Victory malt is also called Biscuit, and I've read that you can also toast 2-row for 30 minutes @ 275°F for a similar effect.

And I am not very experienced, but the only sub for honey malt I've seen is a Crystal 20-30 and mash at a higher temperature, say 155ish?

Maybe someone that knows more than me will come along and give you better ideas.

You can substitute 9 Lbs LME - Pale or 7.5 lbs DME - Pale

Steep the grains at 150 for 30 minutes:

Now I believe that Victory malt is also called Biscuit, and I've read that you can also toast 2-row for 30 minutes @ 275°F for a similar effect.

And I am not very experienced, but the only sub for honey malt I've seen is a Crystal 20-30 and mash at a higher temperature, say 155ish?

Maybe someone that knows more than me will come along and give you better ideas.

Thanks for the tip! If I give it a try I'll be sure to post my results back here

Looks wonderful. I love a nice red/orange IPA and Citra is far and away my favorite hop. I think it pairs really well with the pineyness of Simcoe. You got a nice pillowy head on that thing too. I'd like to try this and split the batch. I've been testing wlp001 against Nottingham(dry) on my last few IPAs to see which I like better for the style. This would be a good example.

Back