Citra SMASH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brinson44

Reaction score
Brewing a second round of a small batch of a Citra SMASH with 2-row. Had all kinds of major issues with first batch on brew day, but the number one noticeable impact in the end was a strong apple juice flavor.

Already bought supplies for round two. Thoughts or suggestions for mashing, hopping, or anything else that might make it better this time, assuming I erase my brew day fiasco?

3.75 gallon batch
6lbs 2-row
2oz Citra hops

Could be acetaldehyde, that's a common cause of cidery/zingy/apple flavors. It might age and mellow out, it might not. Things to consider for the future would be pitching a good fresh yeast and/or using a starter. And/or oxygenate. And/or leave it on the yeast longer.

Citra is an awesome hop variety but it can also get a little bit zingy (not really apple like though, its more like zesty, floral and citric-acidy) when over used. I love it as an aroma producer but I'm not a big fan of heavy bittering with it.

I would recommend kegging or bottling it and let it sit for a couple few weeks and see if/how it changes.

Last edited:
Did you use Safale us-04? That will give you an apple or cidery taste if fermented at too high of a temp.

Citra hits me with a strong grapefruit flavor and aroma.
High alpha hop, awesome with lighter ales and lagers, IMO.

What yeast are you using?

Using Safale US-05. Pretty much use it for everything. Brewing tomorrow, will update as things progress with this new batch!

Two ounces of Citra in a 60min boil in a 3.75gal batch yields about 127IBU ... according to my calculator.

You may want to reconsider adjusting your hops or hopping method... or maybe you really, really do like seriously hoppy beer.

Two ounces of Citra in a 60min boil in a 3.75gal batch yields about 127IBU ... according to my calculator.

You may want to reconsider adjusting your hops or hopping method... or maybe you really, really do like seriously hoppy beer.

HA! I should have clarified. Only planning on using about .25oz to .50oz as FWH. I can’t decide on the rest. Thinking of adding them as late as possible, probably at flameout.

.5oz at 12AAU as FWH would put you in the Pils range.

For a minute there, you had me worried. The bittering ratio for this is around .72 ... hoppy, but not unreasonably so. My brews are a bit more conservative, mostly in the .4 - .5 range (balanced).

.5oz at 12AAU as FWH would put you in the Pils range.

For a minute there, you had me worried. The bittering ratio for this is around .72 ... hoppy, but not unreasonably so. My brews are a bit more conservative, mostly in the .4 - .5 range (balanced).

What do you mean about the bittering ratio? I’m not familiar with that. Thanks for the input, though! Just trying to put together a simple, easy-drinking brew for the masses this summer.

Latest posts

Back