Citra SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenlaplaca

Reaction score
This is the second SMaSH beer that I have made. I absolutely love SMaSH beers. Here is my question, why make SMaSH beers have little to no carbonation? I added my priming sugar mixture to the bottling bucket. 5oz of priming sugar to 1 cup of water.

This is not the only time my SMaSH beers have turned out with little to no carbonation .

Thanks in advanced

Stephen

I don't think the 2 are related. If they are, I have no idea why. Carbonation is a product sugar, yeast, and temperature. The recipe shouldn't have anything to do with it.

PS: It's not a SMaSH, but my house beer is an all Citra Pale Ale. Absolutely LOVE Citra!!!!

Following a SMaSH recipe really has no impact on the carbonation. I think you may be experiencing some other issue. Your priming sugar ratio sounds right, though.

If you're kegging, I'd check for a leak. If you're bottling, which I'm assuming you are, how long are you letting the bottles condition for? What temp are you conditioning at? You probably already know, but you can't refridgerate the bottles while they're conditioning, as the yeast will go dormant in the cold.

My temps for the bottling is 68 to 70. Again this only happens with a SMaSH beer and nothing else.

Are we looking for carbonation bubbles in the glass or head retention? What is the batch size? 5oz in 4.5 to 5 gallons should be plenty.

A while back some one noticed they had decorative bottle caps that were missing the sealing liner and those caused carbonation issues. I only put this in case you are like me and use colored caps to help separate what is in the bottles.

I don't think the 2 are related. If they are, I have no idea why. Carbonation is a product sugar, yeast, and temperature. The recipe shouldn't have anything to do with it.

+1
You might have noticed an unrelated correlation, but there is nothing about a smash that would lead to carbonation problems. But as was asked, do you really mean no carbonation (completely flat beer) or no head retention?

It has very little carbonation and head retention. I do use different caps to know what is what. I have not had issues with these caps before with another beer. I know that everyone might think I am crazy, but this only happens with SMaSH beers.

LOL! You're not crazy, you're observing what you're observing. You've had two flat beers, both are SMaSHs, and that's not crazy. But it's not because it's a SMaSH that it's flat. There is some other cause. Look for other correlations.

How long has it been since they've been bottled?

Sent from myPhone

Yes, how long have the bottles sat? The whole smash thing is a simply a coincidence. Seems like you're really trying to make that the cause, but it's not. The recipe has nothing to do with it. The only time the recipe or fermentation process would come into play is if the beer was very strong and above the ABV limit for the particular yeast strain used OR if the beer sat on the yeast for a very long time. Long enough for it to die off (many, many months, maybe years). You need live yeast and sugar to carbonate in a bottle. It's really that simple.

With that train of thought, could the fact that the beer was almost see through when I bottled it? Meaning, it looked like something professional. If there is not any yeast to eat the sugar? They are now on week three for sitting in the bottles.

With that train of thought, could the fact that the beer was almost see through when I bottled it? Meaning, it looked like something professional. If there is not any yeast to eat the sugar? They are now on week three for sitting in the bottles.
It's so hard to know just why these batches aren't carbonating. So, going through several possibilities:
1) you used different caps or cappers on these batches and they aren't sealed
2) on this most recent batch, you haven't conditioned them warm enough, and they need more time, while on the first smash there was a different problem
3) you got uneven mixing on your priming sugar, so some will be undercarbonated and some will be over carbonated.
4) you brew massively high gravity SMaSH beers and the yeast is dead.
5) on your smash beers you add potassium metabisulphite before bottling, and the yeast can't ferment.

Okay, maybe 5 was overkill, but you get the idea: what did the two batches have in common other than being SMaSH recipes? Even super clear beers still have yeast, and as long as they are unfiltered and unpasteurized, the yeast will do their job, making something else the culprit.

And don't worry - you WILL get this figured out!

Going to let them sit a little longer and see if that helps. I have another beer that will be ready this weekend. I used the same caps so that will let me know if they are a problem or not. It's an IPA so that will also tell me if it's the style or not. I know everyone thinks I am crazy for thinking that its smash related. Another note, this smash was very easy on the ABV.

Going to let them sit a little longer and see if that helps. I have another beer that will be ready this weekend. I used the same caps so that will let me know if they are a problem or not. It's an IPA so that will also tell me if it's the style or not. I know everyone thinks I am crazy for thinking that its smash related. Another note, this smash was very easy on the ABV.

You are one crazy mofo :)

I volunteer to come help you drink them even if they are flat

Sent from myPhone

Not crazy just observant. You would make a good R&D or QC person.

There may not be any good reason why it happens. My only thought left is how fresh is the malt getting used in the SMaSH beers?

Our trucks at work get used and abused to the point were we discover all the weired places parts break. Been told multiple times we are the only ones with problem X. :mug:

No. It's not the malt. What's your recipe and can you warm up the bottles by putting them in a warmer area of your house for a week? How long do you chill them for prior to opening? Sorry if I missed that info.

It is 12 lbs of Vienna and citra at the 60, 30 and 10 min marks. Right now my basement is about 70. It has been almost three weeks since bottling.

I'd give it to more weeks before i would worry that they wouldn't carbonate. I have had some beers that are just slow carbonaters.

Sent from myPhone

It's not the recipe. I think it'd be good if you could get them somewhere slightly warmer.

Alright I will give it two more weeks before I water the plants with it. Thanks for the help everyone.

Back