Citra/Sabro IPA Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I regularly brew this recipe with phenomenal results with various single hops. I recently had a beer that was Citra and Sabro. I’d like to modify this recipe to do both. My thought was to split the whirlpool and dry hop addition in half. Thoughts?

I am trying to figure out a Sabro strategy (to put that 1 lb bag I picked up from YVH a while back to use). Sabro is a very distinctive hops that can really stand out. Sometimes it is a nice coconut character, but it can often be a woody cedar vibe.

I made a version of the Brave Noise Pale Ale recipe that was close to 50/50 Mosaic and Sabro. I felt that the cedar character of the Sabro dominated the flavors.

I recently kegged a NEIPA that used Sabro at the 25% level (with Cryo-Pop + BRU-1 in the whirlpool and with BRU-1 in the dry hop). This one is much better, but I still feel that the Sabro character is pretty dominant.

My house IPA is a Citra/Sabro NEIPA. The grain bill is simply 70/30 two-row/pilsner (although I've done it with just two-row as well), with the following hop schedule: 1.5oz Citra/1oz Sabro at 10 minutes and 5 minutes, then 2oz each at flameout/whirlpool for 10 minutes at 180°. NO bittering addition. Dry hop after 3-4 days (or when I feel like it) with 2.5oz Citra/2oz Sabro. I've gotten the best results with YVH Lupomax for both of them, but it's pricey; the regular T90 pellets do just as well. I ferment it on Imperial Loki kveik at about 80-85°; this really helps bring out the pineapple character in the hops, especially with a slight underpitch.

Back