Citra hops for American Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredderick

Reaction score
Wondering if it is even worth throwing in 1/3 an ounce of Citra at flame out or if the flavor/aroma would not be noticeable and/or if the flavor or aroma would overpower my orange American Wheat?

I am planning on doing 1/3 ounce Magnum for 60 minutes and 1/2 ounce Hallertau for 22 minutes then thinking of adding the Citra for some aroma at flame out. Overall ibu is 19.9 doing this. I am trying to brew a beer all of my BMC drinking friends will enjoy.

This is the first recipe I have designed myself and I am a bit nervous to wreck it with a hop that won't work.

Wondering if it is even worth throwing in 1/3 an ounce of Citra at flame out or if the flavor/aroma would not be noticeable and/or if the flavor or aroma would overpower my orange American Wheat?

I am planning on doing 1/3 ounce Magnum for 60 minutes and 1/2 ounce Hallertau for 22 minutes then thinking of adding the Citra for some aroma at flame out. Overall ibu is 19.9 doing this. I am trying to brew a beer all of my BMC drinking friends will enjoy.

This is the first recipe I have designed myself and I am a bit nervous to wreck it with a hop that won't work.

Bump

Check out the "hoppy American wheat" on the madfermentationist blog. It uses citra and Amarillo. I've brewed it, fantastic. I did not use a hop back, just late additions.

Are you trying to make a beer that fits squarely in to the BJCP style guidelines, or just a good drinking beer?

Either way, I'd probably drop the 20 min hallertau and adjust the 60 min to compensate for the lost bitterness. I think Citra goes very nicely in an American wheat. I'd probably adjust it to 1/2 oz if going for BJCP guidelines or go even more if you don't care about the guidelines.

I also second Mike's hoppy American wheat recipe on the mad fermentationist's blog. Excellent beer.

Are you trying to make a beer that fits squarely in to the BJCP style guidelines, or just a good drinking beer?

Either way, I'd probably drop the 20 min hallertau and adjust the 60 min to compensate for the lost bitterness. I think Citra goes very nicely in an American wheat. I'd probably adjust it to 1/2 oz if going for BJCP guidelines or go even more if you don't care about the guidelines.

I also second Mike's hoppy American wheat recipe on the mad fermentationist's blog. Excellent beer.

I am sorta looking for a beer within the guidelines but most importantly a beer my wife and my bud and Miller drinking friends will enjoy

I am not real familiar with hops... Why would you forgo the Hallertau hops?

I am sorta looking for a beer within the guidelines but most importantly a beer my wife and my bud and Miller drinking friends will enjoy

I am not real familiar with hops... Why would you forgo the Hallertau hops?

I'd go one way or the other. Either citrusy American hop flavor or floral/spicy noble hop character. Combining the two just kind of muddies things, in my opinion.

I almost always would go toward the citrus side, and as long as it's kept moderate, it will still be right within the style.

I'd go one way or the other. Either citrusy American hop flavor or floral/spicy noble hop character. Combining the two just kind of muddies things, in my opinion.

I almost always would go toward the citrus side, and as long as it's kept moderate, it will still be right within the style.

Just so you know, I took your advice and went with Magnum and Citra only. I did .4oz Magnum 60 minutes, 0.4 oz Citra for 5 minutes and 0.5 oz Citra at flame out.

IBU is supposed to be around 21 but I think the last addition of Citra should make the perceived IBU higher than the 21 but not a lot higher

How did this turn out? I have some citra and meridian to use. Was the late addition of .9oz of Citra too much? Too little? I'm hoping to keep this in style a bit.

Thanks.

How did this turn out? I have some citra and meridian to use. Was the late addition of .9oz of Citra too much? Too little? I'm hoping to keep this in style a bit.

Thanks.

It was designed within style and I think it turned out very nice... I added some fresh orange peel and the Citra compliments it nicely

If you are a hop head it doesn't have enough but if you are going good for the style guidelines... It's on the money... IMO

Best of luck!

It was designed within style and I think it turned out very nice... I added some fresh orange peel and the Citra compliments it nicely

If you are a hop head it doesn't have enough but if you are going good for the style guidelines... It's on the money... IMO

Best of luck!

That is exactly the sort of advice I was looking for. Thanks!

Back