Citra hops and off flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I tried making another citra hop tea (1 quart of water to 1/4 oz of citra with a different batch of hops ) and got the same metalic taste at first. Then I tried taking like 2 tbps of the tea into 1 cup of water and got a less horrendous taste . Maybe I over hopped the first time ?

A hop tea brewed with water will not yield the same results as hops brewed and fermented with beer.

I've tasted thousands of commercial craft beers, but less than 50 beers that use Citra including my own. I can't say metallic is a descriptor that I'd assign to any beer.

I'm going with you don't like Citra or you don't like bitter beers.

I would also recommend finding some commercial examples with Citra. If it only happens when you brew it, something different might be going on.

But I will say that some people just perceive tastes differently.

I once brewed my favorite pale ale, but decided to use all Centennial hops. I thought it was soapy and didn't care for the hop flavor. I tried a commercial example and discovered the same thing. You just never know. I thought Cents were pretty well regarded before I tried that.

Back