Citra Hop Burst Experiment #1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dry hopped a 5 gallon batch of brewers best imperial ipa with 2 oz of citra for 2 weeks and didn't care for it after 3 weeks in bottles. however, after 6 weeks, it's delicious and will likely be even better after 8 weeks...if it lasts that long.

cheers!

...complete. After 2 solid weeks in the secondary. Scheduled to bottle Tuesday next week.

Sipping it now...

...definately still a bit green, but has a nice Citra flavor with a touch of sweetness. I like it, ALOT. Definately my favorite personal brew taste to date (at this stage of conditioning anyway).

My next concern will be how much dextrose to prime with. The 2 kits i used prior to this brew provide the 5oz bag for 5 gallons of brew. However my last batches were heavily over carbonated. I am sure mostly due to the fact that i did not have five gallons of brew to bottle (from various causes). I am thinking about using the 1oz Dex to 1gal Brew as the ratio, and measuring as close as possible to make sure my ratio is perfect. I am also thinking of using a .75oz to 1 gal ratio, but research must be done.

Cheers! :mug:

I tend to go about 1oz per gallon on my IPAs. Maybe a little less which is dependent on the temp. You can go here for some good estimates. http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Dude, If that calculator is on point (and I used it right), I just found out why my beer is too carbonated. Thank you much. That being the case. My Citra beer here should only need 2.5 to 3oz of Dex.

Man! Thanks for the knowledge hole! :mug:

Welp just drank the first bottle of a rye pale ale i did with a hop burst of citra and dry hop with cirta and chinook and man is it good! The fruity wyeast 1272 and citra combo really compliment each other very well. The chinook and rye mingle for a nice spiciness also. I would defiantly recommend for an american style brew!

So I am curious why you arn't doing the 60min to bitter, aroma hop aditions late in the game (which seem fine) and if you really want to hammer home the aroma, dry hope the crap out of the beer? When I made a long trail head ipa clone I used something like 3oz of hops in the boil and 2oz of hops as dry hop. I would be curious how this turns out but almost every book I have read states to boil bittering hops for an hour and the later you add the hops the less AA gets isomerized.

Honestly though when I read "I want it to scream hop aroma" I first thought that you would use 2 or 3oz to dry hop.

I know I am a bit late on this topic and at risk of repeating someone else here, but.....

Jeebus where have you "why no bittering addition" guys been the last few years? Has nobody heard of late hop techniques? All my best APAs and IPAs have no "bittering" additions. They just are not nessecary, you get all the bittering properties use you use huge flavor/aroma additions. It truly is something you must try, if you have not already.

Bittering additions was a term I had almost forgotten about.....

If I bitter its only in first wort. Tends to be a bit more balanced when I do this. Late additions are a personal favorite also.

I know I am a bit late on this topic and at risk of repeating someone else here, but.....

Jeebus where have you "why no bittering addition" guys been the last few years? Has nobody heard of late hop techniques? All my best APAs and IPAs have no "bittering" additions. They just are not nessecary, you get all the bittering properties use you use huge flavor/aroma additions. It truly is something you must try, if you have not already.

Bittering additions was a term I had almost forgotten about.....

I will say that if you are brewing on a budget, early hops help. I have 9 oz of Citra in this beer. That is coming to about $11.34 just in hops. My next beer (same recipe, but a partial mash with rye and what i'm calling earth hops) will be using probably 10 to 12oz total, for a hop bill costing up to $15.12. Not economical, but it will hopefully taste AWESOME.

Bottling tomorrow, and using the yeast cake to start the one i mentioned above if time allows.

Have fun, and Cheers!

Just cracked my first from the batch. Close to what i was going for, but AWESOME. my next beer will be a partial batch version of this one with "earthy" hops insted of Citra, and a touch of rye.

As soon as I get some objective beer tasters to try this brew, I will post their opinons. HOWEVER, I AM IN LOVE, an only see this getting better with a slightly more complex grain bill.

I dub thee (the beer that is),

"STEVE CAT"

love,

incog

:rockin:

Any updates on this recipes, or other tasters opinions?

Anyone who tatsed it said it was a tastey brewthat they could session out easy. Unless they were not hop heads of course.

The recipe was as posted more or less.

My next beer (brew day tomorrow) will be based on this recipebut using a 5 hop blend on the burst schedule instead of all one hop. I also messed with the grains as I will partial this next one and dry it out with a little less extract and a little dextros added.

Cheers!

Back