Citra and cascade pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstringer1983

Reaction score
Ive been interested in trying a citra/cascade combo pale ale and wondered if anyone has made this and what were the results. Im intrigued by the idea of citras tropical fruit profile but ive never used them before. Heres what im thinking:
10lbs pale 2 row
4oz honey malt
8oz crystal 20

.5 cascade @60
.5 cascade @15
.5 citra @ 15
.5 citra and .5 cascade at flameout
Dry hop for 5 days with .5 of each

Thoughts???

Ive been interested in trying a citra/cascade combo pale ale and wondered if anyone has made this and what were the results. Im intrigued by the idea of citras tropical fruit profile but ive never used them before. Heres what im thinking:
10lbs pale 2 row
4oz honey malt
8oz crystal 20

.5 cascade @60
.5 cascade @15
.5 citra @ 15
.5 citra and .5 cascade at flameout
Dry hop for 5 days with .5 of each

Thoughts???

Just make sure you know what your IBUS and OG will be for your system. pale ales are all about balance. With that said, don't be afraid to up the late additions of hops a bit to really bring out the citruisy without adding to many IBUS. Such as a whole ounce citra at 15 or 10 min will really bring out the flavor of these hops

Happy Brewing:mug:

Ive been making a cascade pale ale lots, i put .5 cascade @ 60 and thats plenty of bitter for my taste, my hope is that the citra and cascade will combine for a big citrusy, fruity profile that will combine with the honey malts sweetness to make a delicious ripe fruit tasting ale

I second mbobhat's opinion to up the late additions. Citra and cascade are my favourite hops and I brew mostly IPA's with them. For a 5 gallon batch, I'd use 0.5oz centennial as a bittering hop @ 60, and then 1oz cascade at 15' and 5' and 2oz citra at flameout. That's double the amount you want to use and I don't find it excessively hoppy for my taste.

Look at Yooper's Haus Ale in the recipe section for a good Cascade-based APA... I've varied up the hops in that recipe to very good effect. It's a nice balanced APA. Substitute the aroma additions and/or the dry hop additions with Citra while targeting roughly the same overall IBUs and I'll bet you have a winner.

just dry hopped an ipa with citra/cascade... great combo.

I guess i am worried if i ramp the hops up too much itll lose its apa feel, but as long as i stay away from any big 60 min additions it shouldnt be too bitter. Maybe more like .5 cascade @ 60, then .75 of each hop at 15, .75 of each flameout and a .75 of each dry hop? Too hoppy or will it still resemble an aproachable pale ale?

youd be fine, I wouldnt even consider that "hoppy." I use twice as much in my pale ale ive been revising. Except that one only has a 60min and then 0min/hopstand addition

youd be fine, I wouldnt even consider that "hoppy." I use twice as much in my pale ale ive been revising. Except that one only has a 60min and then 0min/hopstand addition

I agree..... but, I would start by undershooting your hops, not overshooting them. This is the kind of beer that is great to have on hand and so it is something that should be a regular on the brew schedule.

Brew it like you are thinking (as described in your last post..... I don't think that will be too hoppy for an APA) and if you want to bump up the hops in future batches - do it.

I have been brewing a bunch of 1.055 pale ales recently and one of my favorites is bittering with Warrior, and then using a combination of Centenial, Cascade and Citra. I use quite a bit more than you are describing, but that is my taste. Those hops make a great combo though.

Thanks for the great ideas, im gonna brew this one soon, cant wait to try out the cascade and citra pair

Okay just to revive an old thread i thought id give anyone interested an update. Im drinking this recipe as i post this and its by far one of my best beers to date. The citra and cascade combo is a match made in heaven. Lots of sweet mango type flavors and a bit of tart from the cascade. Next batch i think ill swap the crystal 20 with crystal 60 and bump my mash temp up a tad, as it is missing some body and turned out a bit too dry. Probably dry hop with more also because these hops are delicious :) its a definite winner for anyone thinking about trying the combo.

Thanks for the update. I've been trying to decide what my next batch will be; I may try something like this.

Back