Cinco de Mayo Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some weeks ago after tasting Young's Double Chocolate Coffee Stout I posted a clone recipe. There were some comments and I made some changes and began gathering the "stuffs" to brew it.
Well I'm ready today and since it's Cinco de Mayo and I'm using 5 grains I figured what the heck let's name it Cinco de Mayo Stout.
Not sure if it will be a Young's clone. This is really my first extract w/grains that I really tinkered w/the recipe. Here is is in final form:

8.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt
0.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
0.13 lb Black (Patent) Malt
0.13 lb Roasted Barley
0.5 lb Lactose
8.00 oz Malto-Dextrine
1.00 oz Galena (60 min) Hops
1.00 oz Galena (5 min) Hops
2.0 oz unsweetened Cocoa (5 min)
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)
-------------------------------------------
2/3 cup cane sugar in bottling bucket
1 oz real vanilla extract
cold brewed coffee to taste (Mexican if I can find it)
------------------------------------------------------
Est OG=1.063
Est FG=1.016
Est ABV=6.05
Bitterness 26.3 IBU
Est color - 32.1 SRM

All done setting in the fermenting bucket. Can't wait to try it out. I had an interestingly sweet taste to it.

Woo Hoo OG came out 1.064, one point above what BeerSmith called. Only problem is it's not as Black as it looked in BeerSmith. More like a deep redish brown.

I did something very similar with my last brew. It was a Cream Stout. On bottling day I added 12oz of espresso to the bottling bucket, half of the priming sugar, and bottled half of the beer. Then I put vanilla extract and the remaining half of the priming sugar into the bottling bucket and bottled the remainder of the beer. Now I am conditioning the beer for three weeks. Vanilla Cream Stout and Espresso Cream Stout. Both sound great.

NRS

I did something very similar with my last brew. It was a Cream Stout. On bottling day I added 12oz of espresso to the bottling bucket, half of the priming sugar, and bottled half of the beer. Then I put vanilla extract and the remaining half of the priming sugar into the bottling bucket and bottled the remainder of the beer. Now I am conditioning the beer for three weeks. Vanilla Cream Stout and Espresso Cream Stout. Both sound great.

NRS

Thanks NRS, please let us/me know how they came out. I ordered some Mexican coffee beans from Amazon yesterday and they should be here before bottling day. Plan is to add vanilla and coffee to the brew. Was thinking of doing 1/2 w/o either for a "plane" Cream Stout. What was your recipe?

Checked the "tub" this morning. Air under the wet towel is 68* and the tape thermometer reads 62*. Little air lock action. Replaced the 4 blocks of ice and waiting to see how the temps go. Might be able to cut back on the ice as I think I want the brew at about 64*

C-Rider,

Here's what I used as my base stout kit.

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produ...d=313&osCsid=84077595856284fe94f85d617a84f68a

From there I get creative with what I add to the recipe. It adds another layer of fun to brewing, and that way I feel like it's really "my recipe".

Enjoy! Yours sound fabulous.

NRS

Yea I started w/one I downloaded somewhere, got some comments and then made some changes so I think I can call it mine too. :)
Just checked the temp tape. Down to 58, so I pulled one 1/2 gal block of ice. Still have 3 more in the water bath.

One week update:
Tastes much better than when it went into the fermenter.
Sweet w/a hint of something good.
OG was 64 it's now 39 w/temp correction.
This is gonna be good in a month or two. :)

This sounds great. My next brew is going to be some kind of stout or porter. I've been wanting to make a chocolate stout. Let us know how it turns out...I might have to try this.

This sounds great. My next brew is going to be some kind of stout or porter. I've been wanting to make a chocolate stout. Let us know how it turns out...I might have to try this.

Will do. This is really the first time I'm using a recipe that I really changed from what I found posted.

It's gonna be good! I took another sip from the sample and I think I'm getting the chocolate from the coco I added.

Next report next Thursday when I take next sample.

WOO HOO :ban: :mug:

Two pounds Mexican coffee beans arrived the other day from Amazon. Will be grinding beans in two weeks to add at bottling time. :)

Well at the end of two weeks the FG was unchanged at 1.039. Temps were 66-70 throughout the past two weeks.

Then I go sick running 103 + temps and got antsy. So I added some Champagne yeast to kick start it. I started w/Sa-04.

Well 3 days later SG was down to 36, but the brew was really drying out. Yea I know that what Champagne yeast will do. But I'll blame in on the high temps in my brain.

Now the plan is to add some more lactose to sweeten it when this yeast quits in say two more weeks.

What do you think?

Bottled this baby today. 4.5 gal = 50 bottles, 12 to my friends and 38 in the refer to condition.

This is what I added at bottling time.
2.5 oz cold brewed Mexican Coffee
1.0 oz Vanilla (perhaps 2 much)
3 Tbs Lactose to make up for the drying of the Champagne yeast added foolisly.

Taste is not bad, but only time will tell!

CincoDeMayo38Bottles.jpg

Yea, I know you ain't supposed to do it, but I took one bottle out yesterday and put it in the refer. Had it w/lunch today. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Not as sweet as a Sweet Stout should be, but maybe it will improve w/age.
I could taste the hint of coffee somewhere in there.

This is gonna be a good beer in two or 3 more weeks.

Had another yesterday. It sweetend up over the past week. There was a little carbonation and a tiny brown head. The coffee and chocolate taste seems to less than last week. Wonder what another few weeks will bring.

Opened two today to share w/a friend. Still very little head. Little two sweet for me. Next time I'll leave out the lactose and vanilla. The coffee is there for sure, the chocolate is less than the coffee. Perhaps a little more cocco next time.

Question. What should I do w/the 34 bottles left?
1-Chill to 40-45 for drinking
2-Keep most at 70 and only bring out a few at a time to chill and drink.

Bottled this baby a month ago. Still no head. Taste is good, coffee comes through. Does it just need more time? Can't really determine if it's carbonated, to dark to see bubbles.

CincoDeMayoNoHead (2).jpg

Bottled this baby a month ago. Still no head. Taste is good, coffee comes through. Does it just need more time? Can't really determine if it's carbonated, to dark to see bubbles.

Looks good. :mug: Well, there seems to be a little layer of bubbles. Does it *taste* carbonated? I haven't yet brewed a stout, so I'm not sure how long it usually takes to fully carb.

On a side note, this recipe sounds tasty. I was waiting till closer to fall to brew a stout for late fall/early winter.

Looks good. :mug: Well, there seems to be a little layer of bubbles. Does it *taste* carbonated? I haven't yet brewed a stout, so I'm not sure how long it usually takes to fully carb.

On a side note, this recipe sounds tasty. I was waiting till closer to fall to brew a stout for late fall/early winter.

My SWMBO likes dark beers, Porters, Stouts, Schwarzbier. She won't do more than taste a light clear ale? So here I am conditioning a Stout and brewing a Robust Porter right now.

Bottled this baby today. 4.5 gal = 50 bottles, 12 to my friends and 38 in the refer to condition.

This could be your carbonation problem. Unless that refer you're keeping them in is over 70F, you're not going to get a lot of carbonating done.

This could be your carbonation problem. Unless that refer you're keeping them in is over 70F, you're not going to get a lot of carbonating done.

Unlike you guys up north in Wa, here in the islands a refer is needed to get down to 70. I have two to bottle condition and one set lower to drink. They are the small apt sized ones which look better on my back deck than a big tall one.

The one in the picture was cooled to about 42 for two days before opening.

One month in the bottle and this Double Chocolate Coffee Sweet Stout is coming of age and it's even forming a head. Check it out. Taste is good, but I've decided I don't like Sweet Stouts or at least not this one.

Next Stout will be and American Stout.

CincoDeMayo1MonBtl.jpg

Looks tasty... one of my next three brews (to happen early August) is a Young's Clone... such a great beer I must learn to make it.

Looks tasty... one of my next three brews (to happen early August) is a Young's Clone... such a great beer I must learn to make it.

This was to be an attempted clone of Youngs, but the fermentation stalled and even the addition of a champagne yeast didn't help. I think that's why it's to sweet.

The American Stout will have no lactose and I'll compare the two even if the recipes are not the same.

HOpe to see your recipe when you brew your clone.

:mug:

Back