Cigar City's El Murcielago??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOrlandoGuy

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to clone CCB's El Murcielago??

I tried it on tap at CCB for the first time last week, and WOW! I've never had a tequila barrel aged beer before. Not to mention, it was incredibly smooth and well balanced. I would absolutely love to try my hand at cloning something even similar to this...since I do not live in Tampa, and they do not distribute this one in bottles or cans.

Unfortunately, this is all they say about it:

"Ale Aged in Tequila Barrels with Cumin and Lime Peel, 11% ABV."

Please help!!

I'm going to go out on a limb and say no... it's a fairly rare beer that Cigar City makes, and it seems like it's only available at the brewery or brewpub. I could be wrong though.

I have no idea what style this beer even is... in your post all you said was "smooth and well balanced" That doesn't give us a whole lot to go on.

I'd try to find Tim Ogden's email and see if he can give you any info. I have seen him reply to other brewers with questions. Not sure if he had anything to do with the recipe though, since he's at the brewpub now. One thing I can tell you is that 1968 is their house yeast at the brewery and 3463 is their strain at the brew pub.

The only other Tequila barrel aged beer I have ever had was from Renegade Brewing in Denver called El Elevacion. It seemed to be fairly pilsner like. Excellent beer!

Good Luck!

Thanks Breezybrew, I actually sent them an email today just hoping for some more info on the base style as well. I know "smooth" isn't much to go on...haha...but I'd say it would more closely resemble an English strong ale. A very nice hazy brown look, but with a creamy mouthfeel to it. The oak came through with great vanilla notes, and the tequila was just present in the after taste.

Thanks Breezybrew, I actually sent them an email today just hoping for some more info on the base style as well. I know "smooth" isn't much to go on...haha...but I'd say it would more closely resemble an English strong ale. A very nice hazy brown look, but with a creamy mouthfeel to it. The oak came through with great vanilla notes, and the tequila was just present in the after taste.

That does sound good! Happy Brewing!

Back