Cider yeast in ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr_y82

Reaction score
Hello all, I searched for this prior to posting, but results were for ale yeast in cider...

I have two packs of mangrove jack's M02 cider yeast... I also have several cans of malt extract that was given to me and a random assortment of leftover hops in the freezer...

My question: How inadvisable would it be to pitch the cider yeast into some ale? Would it just render it a little drier, or would it potentially have some pretty odd flavors?

Not much to lose here... the extract is pretty old, the hops aren't too new, and the yeast is a little outdated but has been in the fridge (I have used older with no ill effect before)....

Should I go for it? If I get some good feedback I will ship you at 6 pack at shipping cost! :D

RDWHAHB! Cheers and thanks! :mug:

I have never tried that. Sounds like an interesting experiment; I would be interested in the results. I'm not sure if it would turn out dry, since it is basically a wine yeast, or if it would turn out sweet and quit fermenting early, since the yeast is not accustomed to eating maltose. Hmm.

I may just pitch it and see... I've always had good luck, so maybe I should push it!

...for the sake of science (and being cheap).

Thanks for the feedback. I'll certainly post results if I try it!

Thank you seabrew... You and dmtaylor deserve to taste the the fruits of my (upcoming) labor (assuming it is not s--t, but of course, maybe you deserve that too if the advice doesn't pan out!!)... I ferment in glass and kinda cringe when I have to run my wort through a filtered plastic funnel... I am a little OCD when I brew (and in general) so if you guys want to partake don't fret! I appreciate the feedback and will likely start a batch of two in the next couple weeks!

Like dmtaylor says in his post above, I too am under the impression that cider and wine strains don't ferment maltose

Back