Cider Virgin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staarky

Reaction score
It was such an amazing year here in Southern Ontario for apples I just had to try my hand at Cider. Got most of my apples from one huge wild tree nearby. Don't know what variety they are but they were med to large size and completely deep red in color and tasted awesome. Beautiful apples!!! I pressed them myself and got 17 liters to ferment. I dosed the must with Campden then added 900 gms of organic cane sugar, pectic enzyme, nutrients and LV 1118 yeast 24 hrs later. The yeast activity started off slow then by day 4 the air-lock was bubbling once every second. I refreshed the liquid in the air lock since it collected some fruit flies. I was very carefully to close the top of the fermenting pale while I swapped out the air-lock. It continued to bubble vigorously for another few hours but now is hardly bubbling at all. I have read that this is common. Does this make sense? Also my original SG was 1.074. Does this make sense?

Back