Cider Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdub

Reaction score
Is there a method(or need) to create a starter for your yeast when making a cider?

I've been wondering this myself. I think most folks use dry or rehydrated dry yeast. Montrachet seems to be popular and Jamil recommends Cotes de Blancs. I used Safbrew T-58 for my first batch of pseudo-Apflewein (though I didn't get any of the "spicy, peppery" flavors that I was looking for).

However, I just picked up an Activator pack of Wyeast 4766 Cider Yeast and didn't know if, like ales & lagers, cider yeast needed a starter for optimum pitching.

Anyone? Anyone?

Chad

I smacked two packs of Wyeast #3068 weishenstephan and let them bulge. The wife like to see just how long she can stand it before she turns the heat on. Since the house was 57 degrees i had to set up a little lamp for heat and a BBQ thermometer to monitor the temp. I managed to keep my yeast right at 75 by adjusting bulb to yeast distance. Everything was working great, I could hear the yeast fizz and the packs expanded. At the correct time I added each pack to a mason jar of starter. 1 cup of cider + 1 cup of water + a hint of nutrient then shaken till my arms were numb. The next morning there was a nice layer of foam and I gave it a gentle swirl.

When i added it to the cider i had airlock activity within 10 minutes.

No need imo. Cider takes off like a racehorse. In fact, whenever you give the proper conditions and have healthy yeast all you need is the proper pitching amount. Unless you are adding several pounds of sugar to the cider (and hence raising the gravity) I see no need to make a starter.

Chad said:
I've been wondering this myself. I think most folks use dry or rehydrated dry yeast. Montrachet seems to be popular and Jamil recommends Cotes de Blancs. I used Safbrew T-58 for my first batch of pseudo-Apflewein (though I didn't get any of the "spicy, peppery" flavors that I was looking for).

However, I just picked up an Activator pack of Wyeast 4766 Cider Yeast and didn't know if, like ales & lagers, cider yeast needed a starter for optimum pitching.

Anyone? Anyone?

Chad

Actually your results are confirming what I am finding. My first batch of cider last year I used the T-58 and experienced the same thing. And this years three batches, the two I have have bottled, one more to go, didn't really show any difference either in flavor or gravity from the hydro samples. One was US-06 and the other was Premier Cuvee. Wierd yeah and I am not sure why though. But when I get the chance to do some side-by-side tasting it will be apparent what (if any) yeast characteristics seem to come through. What will really be interesting is seeing how the natural ferment turns out. I gotta bottle that one, it's ready.

I am a newbie to this home brewing. I started my very first batch of cider this week. I pitched the yeast, Cooper brewing Yeast, in Tuesday. Then waited. I got nervous from all the postings that cider "takes off" fermenting. Well, Wednesday and no bubbling in the airlock. Now I'm worried.

What did I do wrong?
Too cold? 63F, I put a light bulb under the fermenter (on a stand) to warm it up.
Yeast too soon after Campden tablets on Saturday?
I rehydrated the yeast on top on the must for 5 minutes before stirring. Should I have rehydrated in a warmer solution for the starter?

I know what I need, patience. Today it is bubbling away. So no starter solution was necessary.

Thanks.
CR

bdub said:
Is there a method(or need) to create a starter for your yeast when making a cider?
In the past I've made starters from half-full 10 oz bottles of Walmart Apple juice but I usually don't do that now. Never really needed one. Just experimenting.:)

Back