Cider Stank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrCoastBrew

Reaction score
So this is my first batch of Apple Cider and it is fermenting away...But the smell is really not very pleasant. I don't know how to explain it other than it smells like an appley dog fart! Is this normal? I am used to the sweet smell of my fermenting beer so it kind of surprised me when I got a wiff. I need a Cider Geek to tell me to relax. :)

RElax, the flavor will be fine. I am experimenting with a gallon now, using yeast nutrient, as per some other person's suggestion here, and I have no apple fart smell. It's gone from 1.05 to 1.02 in 4 days and no bad smell. Consider using nutrients like a mead, see the sticky in the mead forum by "hightest" and follow that in the future, regarding nutrients.

So far... it's working for me.

But in your scenario, and every cider I've made until now, I never used nutrients and always ended up with the sulphur smell. It's totally normal, it will age out pretty quickly. And even if you drink it young, just hold your nose. It doesn't affect the taste.

Also, stirring it with copper wire can take the edge off a little bit. Just don't do it while it's still fermenting, or it will make even more sulphury smells.

When its done fermenting, transfer it to another container, but no racking, pour it through a funnel for max aeration to drive off more of the sulphur odor.

Latest posts

Back