Cider sitting in primary for 2+ years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KindofBlues71

Reaction score
A couple years ago in September I bought five 1-gallon glass jugs of organic cider at Whole Foods, dumped them into a Better Bottle with Nottingham and let it do its thing. It sat in my basement all winter, then started to re-ferment again the following Spring. I've kept the airlock topped up but it's been sitting in primary for at least 2 years now because I couldn't make up my mind what to do with it and life got busy.

Would Brett still work on it at this point? I'm thinking of finally kegging half, tossing some ECY Brett C into one gal and making apple jack with the rest.

Sounds cool, you might have even kickstarted malo lactic fermentation that way. Take a sample and see if you want to use brett or not, because there might not be much in the form of sugars left.

The first thing to do is taste it and see if its drinkable. I'm not cure the ECY Brett C is going to do anything, depends what your gravity is. Not a fan of freeze concentrating cider after fermentation, but to each his own.

Back