Cider...Round 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8r1

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks again for all of your help on my previous thread, first try at cider:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/first-try-at-cider-with-pics.686027/
As the title of this thread says, I'm moving on to round 2 and making 5 more gallons. Last night I pressed the apples, added 5 crushed campden tablets, and the juice is currently sitting in a carboy waiting for me to add the yeast, which I will do on Wednesday evening.

Here's what I'm doing differently with this batch:

-I'm using champagne yeast

-I'm adding 2 pounds of brown sugar

-I'm adding some cinnamon sticks

Here are my questions:

-When should I add the sugar, or does it matter? Should I do it now? Wait until Wednesday right before pitching the yeast? Sometime in between?

-Does anybody have a preference between dark brown or light brown sugar? Does it matter?

-When should I add the cinnamon sticks? After the initial fermentation is complete, I am planning on transferring the cider to a secondary and leaving it in there for a few months; should I add the sticks to the secondary? Or would that put out too strong of a cinnamon flavor if they were in there for several months?

Thanks everyone! I'm still really new at this.

I have tried dark brown sugar in my ciders. I no longer add it. It does bring some caramel notes but also brings the sugar and makes my cider too "hot" in alcohol flavors.

If i am going to add additional sugar (Normally do not) I prefer adding 2-4 cans Frozen Apple juice Concentrate to bump up the sugar content and to bring some apple flavors along with it.

Any spices including cinnamon I add to secondary. It allows me to evaluate the flavor every day or two after the first few days and pull them out when I hit the profile I like.

The general rule with additions I've heard, fermentables get added to primary non-fermentables get added to secondary.

What is your current SG? Also what is your goal of adding sugar, are you trying to raise your final ABV, or adjunct flavor?

Honey would put you in the cyser realm which I don't know much about. As mentioned FAJC is a good way to raise ABV and maintain cider flavors.

Do you think pure honey would be a better option? If so, 2 pounds?

That'd get you to about 8.5% ABV if that's what you're looking to do. Personally, I don't add any sugar at all to my ciders. Starting gravity is almost always 1.050 which gives me 6.5% and that's fine for a cold fizzy drink (and more than beer). I want to taste apples, not alcohol. And I make mead for the higher octane stuff.

I don't see the need to add any additional sugars unless you are making an apfelwein or something stronger (apple jack). But if you insist in upping the ABV then I would agree with the frozen apple juice concentrate. Will add sugar and flavor to the mix.

To be honest, I'm just really new at this whole cider thing, and wanted to try something different.

Last week I added yeast to 5 gallons of pure, fresh pressed apple juice and that's going to be my 'standard' cider. This batch is in day 5 of fermentation.

So I don't get stuck with 10 gallons of the same cider, I wanted to switch things up on this one and try adding some different ingredients. Hence the idea of adding brown sugar or honey, and some cinnamon sticks.

However, I'm not interested in getting bitter, super alcoholic cider. It was suggested that the brown sugar would raise the alcohol slightly and give the cider a maple flavor, which is more what I would like to achieve.

After reading the suggestions, I'm leaning toward adding no sugar, honey, or apple concentrate, and just experiment with some cinnamon and maybe a small amount of hops.

After fermention i add potassium sorbate to stabilize. Then add agave nectar and pineapple juice concentrate to taste.

I would play around with flavoring after fermention, it will give you more control. Plus you can pull a gallon off and experiment without altering the whole batch.

Back