Cider recipe: brainstorm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeatReek

Reaction score
I'm trying to recreate a particular hard cider I "made" once totally by mistake; help me figure out how to do it on purpose this time.

Several years ago, when I still lived in rural Michigan, we'd go to the local apple orchard and pick up gallons of cider every fall. Once, I left a gallon sitting in our warm basement for a week or so, and when I opened it, it had begun to ferment and was delicious. I kept trying to reproduce this, but (obviously, in retrospect) all my subsequent attempts just got brackish and disgusting -- I could never catch a wild yeast again.

So how best to recreate this full, sweet, lightly alcoholic and lightly carbonated cider? I've read a lot online about proper steps to creating a good cider, like using pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient and all that, but I don't want to come up with a Magner's-like product at all. I'm already figuring ale yeast rather than wine, and will probably not add any fermentables. Any other ideas?

Oh yeah, I'm talking about making a 4-6 gallon batch with proper brewing equipment, not just tossing yeast into a gallon jug. Just to be clear :)

Back