Cider Oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David_86

Reaction score
How would I know if a cider has oxidized? What does oxidized cider taste like? I have a decent amount of head room after racking and I worry that some of the off flavor I am tasting is due to oxidation.

How long were you in primary?

Unless you fermented absolutely dry, you should still be producing some CO2 during secondary and this can help blanket your cider in its vessel. The off taste could be merely raw green cider on its way to goodness.

While the above is true, it is always good practice to minimize headspace while racking.

• Moldy or musty – An unpleasant smell sometimes compared to damp cardboard or sherry. Due to oxidation or over filtration of cider.
  • Oxidized – The chemical oxidation of stored cider in contact with air or containing high levels of dissolved oxygen; color can be dark golden brown; aroma and taste described as stale, leathery, caramelized, or sherry-like.

So the cider isnt dark. I am getting more of a flavor that some seem to call "jet fuel" the alcohol content is very high (about14% with honey added to up the ABV) because I was playing around with how strong I can make the cider. I am using store bought cider. The yeast I have was something I bought a long time ago that is just labeled as distillers yeast which has a tolerance of up to 22% ABV.

Back