Cider OG question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrettV

Reaction score
Tonight I'm fermenting my first batch of cider. Doing a 1-gallon batch using juice I bought from the Hudson Valley. I'm going to ferment using Nottingham dry yeast and split between 2 growlers. I took a gravity reading, and it's only 1042, which seems to be pretty low based on what I've read. Is it worth it to add some sugar to the mix to boost the gravity, or should I just ferment as is? I'm going to carbonate it, and I was looking to make a style that was off-dry/semi-dry, basically in the English style.

Fresh ciders I've used, and most that I've seen in other threads, seem to run somewhere around 1.045. If that ferments to completion, you'll get around a 5% ABV. So, the question becomes, do you want a higher ABV? If you do, add sugar. But bear in mind, adding too much sugar strips out the apple flavor notes and you're left with a more dry, wine-like product.

I think that answers my question. Definitely looking for cidery-cider and not winey-cider. I'll probably leave as is and just stop fermenting when it tastes good.

I have read that we want a minimum of 1.045 OG, and I believe that it affects the cider's stability when aging. Something about the alcohol level keeping bacteria from growing. This is out of my realm here but that's what I read.

Of course if you're gonna drink it right away I guess it dunn matter.

Latest posts

Back