Cider Not Carbing in Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLTS

Reaction score
Hoping someone has a brilliant idea to fix this.

6 weeks ago I put down a 23L batch of kit cider (Williams Warn) for the better half. Its supposedly a dry cider. Fermentation was very slow and took 4 weeks(inside). I batch primed it with 180g of table sugar and bottled it. Its now been 2 weeks at 25degC and absolutely no carb.

The yeast was an 11g sachet of Fermentis S-04. It was a very low floc(not even 1 cup left at the bottom).

So how do I go about getting it to carb..? I have thought of mixing a starter(?) from a batch of yeast I know and inoculating each bottle...But how much? (if I'm on the right track).

Looking forward to your ideas.

Just thinking aloud. What is the gravity of your bottled cider? What was the gravity when you bottled it? What the ABV? What I might do is take a cup or so of water and add about 100 gms of sugar and a sachet of champagne yeast and open up all your bottles and add the contents with this priming solution to your bottling bucket and rebottle. The champagne yeast is likely to be OK even if the ABV is fairly high and the addition of more yeast with the sugar means that you have a source of yeast that you know is viable.
My one concern is that the priming sugar you added earlier is still unfermented and that means that you are going to be increasing the pressure in your bottles with the addition of more sugar. If the gravity when you bottled was lower than it is today (and 180 gms of sugar in 23 L is not much ) then you might simply add the champagne yeast without the additional sugar but add the yeast to the whole batch and not a few grains to each bottle.

Hoping someone has a brilliant idea to fix this.

6 weeks ago I put down a 23L batch of kit cider (Williams Warn) for the better half. Its supposedly a dry cider. Fermentation was very slow and took 4 weeks(inside). I batch primed it with 180g of table sugar and bottled it. Its now been 2 weeks at 25degC and absolutely no carb.

The yeast was an 11g sachet of Fermentis S-04. It was a very low floc(not even 1 cup left at the bottom).

So how do I go about getting it to carb..? I have thought of mixing a starter(?) from a batch of yeast I know and inoculating each bottle...But how much? (if I'm on the right track).

Looking forward to your ideas.

I'd just wait, odds are everything is just fine. I always allow at least 4 or 5 weeks for bottles to carb up.
Regards, GF.

Back