Cider Newbie Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Craic_

Reaction score
Hi,

i am new to this and my first batch didn't go down so well:

5L of Juice extracted with a juicer from apples turned into an explosive Vinegar!

So for my second attempt my Questions are:

*When in the Brew Bucket i am waiting for the Final SG rating to be 1.000? if i bottle from this at a higher level will it make for Sweeter Cider?

* Why have a secondary? - if the SG Level is at 1.000 isn't all the sugar gone and no more fermentation takes place? or is this Secondary for letting the 'crap' settle to the bottom of the Carboy so it is clear?

* is there a specific formula for the amount of sugar in the bottles for Carbonation i.e. 1g Sugar to every 100g liquid?

Hopefully some of you Pro's out there can answer these for me.

Presently i am brewing a 17L batch of cider from a beginners kit.

in this kit it says nothing about secondary and tells me to bottle from the brew bucket with priming sugar in the bottles.

Thanks for your help.

What kind of apples did you juice?

What methods of sanitation did you use? Did you use campden tabs to kill wild bacteria and wild yeast , etc.?

True vinegar (acetic acid) is produced by a particular microbe, with in the air, juice, or equipment. Air cannot be a a avoided, and if the microbe is in the air, if not killed and allowed to multiply, you'll make vinegar.

Which yeast did you use?

The main purpose for secondary and tertiary rackings is to allow dead and live yeasts to go out of suspension (to settle on the bottom).

jayott said:
What kind of apples did you juice?

What methods of sanitation did you use? Did you use campden tabs to kill wild bacteria and wild yeast , etc.?

True vinegar (acetic acid) is produced by a particular microbe, with in the air, juice, or equipment. Air cannot be a a avoided, and if the microbe is in the air, if not killed and allowed to multiply, you'll make vinegar.

Which yeast did you use?

The main purpose for secondary and tertiary rackings is to allow dead and live yeasts to go out of suspension (to settle on the bottom).

Hi, I'm pretty sure the lack of Camden tablets in the fresh juice was my issue!

School boy error!

Hi,

i am new to this and my first batch didn't go down so well:

5L of Juice extracted with a juicer from apples turned into an explosive Vinegar!

So for my second attempt my Questions are:

*When in the Brew Bucket i am waiting for the Final SG rating to be 1.000? if i bottle from this at a higher level will it make for Sweeter Cider?
you can but you must stabilize with sulphite and sorbate first or pasteruize in the bottle or it will continue to produce co2 and you will have bottle bombs. The preferred way is to allow to ferment dry, stabilize, then add sweetener (I like using apple juice concentrate) to taste.

* Why have a secondary? - if the SG Level is at 1.000 isn't all the sugar gone and no more fermentation takes place? or is this Secondary for letting the 'crap' settle to the bottom of the Carboy so it is clear? Secondary is for clearing, Getting off of the lees, Many also use it for making fruit and spice additions which can restart fermentation. Also most feel that bulk aging is preferred over bottle aging.

* is there a specific formula for the amount of sugar in the bottles for Carbonation i.e. 1g Sugar to every 100g liquid?
I don't know metric conversions but 3/4 cup per 5 US gallons

Hopefully some of you Pro's out there can answer these for me.

Presently i am brewing a 17L batch of cider from a beginners kit.

in this kit it says nothing about secondary and tells me to bottle from the brew bucket with priming sugar in the bottles.

I've never made cider from a kit, I've only used fresh pressed juice and purchased filtered juice.

Thanks for your help.

good luck

Back