Cider newb - Cripin Brut"ish" recipe for my wife

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin_J

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Does anybody have some thoughts on a basic recipe/approach for making something like Crispin Brut? My wife is a big fan, and I'd like to make something for her that is similar. A direct clone isn't the goal here, just something in that vein. We've tried a number of ciders together, and it's pretty clear that she likes them dry, with a nice clean/crisp apple flavor, and not so much of the barnyard/funk that one tends to get in Continental (French especially, Spanish to a bit lesser extent) ciders.

FWIW, I've never made cider, but I have plenty of experience with beer and the requisite equipment, cleaning/sanitation necessities, etc.

Last edited:
You can make a very basic, but good dry, cider with nothing but one gal apple juice and some ale yeast. I use Nottingham. Just let it ferment to dry and it will be about 5.5%ABV. At first it will not have a lot of apple taste. But if you let it age for 3-4 months the apple will "come back." Some age theirs as long as a year I think.

You can make a very basic, but good dry, cider with nothing but one gal apple juice and some ale yeast. I use Nottingham. Just let it ferment to dry and it will be about 5.5%ABV. At first it will not have a lot of apple taste. But if you let it age for 3-4 months the apple will "come back." Some age theirs as long as a year I think.

Thanks Gene! I brought 5 gallons of juice home last night (pasteurized, not from concentrate, no preservatives) and happened to have a packet of US-05, so that's what we went with. I did add 1 "tube" of concentrate as well. I think the plan is to try to catch it on the way down when it gets where we want it, cold crash, rack it to a corny keg, and force carb it. We'll see how it goes.

In 5 gal, the 1 tube of FAJC will not make much difference. I usually add 1 or 2 per gal. It ramps up the ABV, but it also really helps with leaving a residual apple taste.

All you really need is good apple juice, and time. Pitching your own yeast is also a good idea. I like Cote des Blancs or US-05, but pretty much any beer or wine yeast will work. Be patient. A good cider takes at least 4-6 weeks to finish fermenting. Don't rush it. Your patience will be rewarded.

It's been a while, but the wife and I have had really good luck with Musselman's Premium juice (not from concentrate, not pasteurized) and good ol' US-05 fermented in the 60-63 degree range. We've been able to catch it on the way down when it gets to the right level of dryness, cold crash/condition for a few weeks right around 32, then keg/carbonate and enjoy. Easy peasy and very tasty.

Back