Cider Making Books.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglygoat

Reaction score
Recently I've become interested in making cider. Any reading lists that you can point me at? I enjoy reading, and am interested in the theory and history behind brewing, cider making...

Cheers.

There is a new book out called the new cidermaker's handbook by Claude Jolicoeur, I haven't seen it but it gets good reviews.

There is a new book out called the new cidermaker's handbook by Claude Jolicoeur, I haven't seen it but it gets good reviews.

I have just started to read Jolicoeur's book. If you're interested in the history of cider this isn't the book for you. If you're looking for information on cider making equipment, fermentation, conditioning, apple variety selection, or planning an orchard this is clearly an excellent book to include on your reading list.

"Craft Cider Making" by Andrew Lea is a great introduction, with all the elements you are looking for: history, theory, and practicum. Dr. Lea is English, so the book is primarily from the British cider tradition.

"Cider: Hard and Sweet" by Ben Watson is also very good, with a lot more information specific to North America. It's especially strong on history.

"The History and Virtues of Cyder" by R. K. French is an interesting older book (1982), again from the English perspective, full of history and information about traditional methods.

I'm looking forward to seeing Claude Jolicouer's book.

Recently I've become interested in making cider. Any reading lists that you can point me at? I enjoy reading, and am interested in the theory and history behind brewing, cider making...

Cheers.

This book is great! The first few chapters go into detail about the pressing, fermenting, and techniques. But 60% of this book is dedicated to cider history, growing apple orchards, parasites, etc. It even touches on cider champenoise, apple brandy, and vinegar.

cider book 001 (480x640).jpg

Back