Cider kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadkarol

Reaction score
I want to avoid having to worry about bottle bombs so I'm going to keg my cider which I've never done before. Should I be using Campden tablets? I will probably put some in bottles from the keg.

Or are Campden tablets pointless since I'll be force carbonating with co2? That's my assumption but want to make sure that's correct.

Add Potassium Sorbate to your keg per the instructions, that will surpress the yeast. Let it sit overnight then sweeten to what you want in the keg.

If you bottle from the keg and the bottles warm up, the yeast will eat any back sweetening sugar. So Camden and potassium sorbate will aid in preventing that.

I keg my cider and don't campden. I'll ferment out, then back sweeten with more cider to taste and then Force carb. It holds fine in the fridge for months and doesn't dry out. I've never held bottles of it after kegging this way but I could imagine issues.

You can also filter the yeast out using a household water filter. In either case, as long as you are keeping the keg nice and cold and not planning on putting any of your cider into a bottle at any point, killing the yeast is not required.

TipsySaint said:
You can also filter the yeast out using a household water filter. In either case, as long as you are keeping the keg nice and cold and not planning on putting any of your cider into a bottle at any point, killing the yeast is not required.

Ill be kegging mine

Latest posts

Back