Cider help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgr2973

Reaction score
I am making my first batch of cider only a gallon and cheated using some store bought pasteurized cider. I have two questions first is how long roughly would primary fermentation take. It has been two weeks and already there is little to no bubble activity. My second questions is should I have added some yeast nutrient to it

I'd primary at least a month. My ciders are normally at least 6-9 months old before I keg or bottle them. Prescribed amount of nutrient never hurts but not as critical for cider as it is mead. Also depends on how much sugar you add. The more you stress the yeast the more they benefit from nutrition.

roadymi said:
I'd primary at least a month. My ciders are normally at least 6-9 months old before I keg or bottle them. Prescribed amount of nutrient never hurts but not as critical for cider as it is mead. Also depends on how much sugar you add. The more you stress the yeast the more they benefit from nutrition.

So even though there is no more activity in the primary fermentation you suggest waiting another two weeks before racking to a secondary?

There may be no visible activity..........but stuff is happening..........mainly yeast cleaning up after themselves. As I said.......I start my ciders in Oct and don't rack until feb or march. Patience my friend.

I heard that leaving it in the primary too long can cause off flavors. So you leave it in the primary for months and then bottle?

I heard that leaving it in the primary too long can cause off flavors. So you leave it in the primary for months and then bottle?
You heard wrong. Leave it sit for awhile and rack after its done clearing.

roadymi said:
There may be no visible activity..........but stuff is happening..........mainly yeast cleaning up after themselves. As I said.......I start my ciders in Oct and don't rack until feb or march. Patience my friend.

Thanks I will take your advice.

Are ciders prone to blow off? Would it be wise to just add yeast to a gallon jug and allow it to ferment?

I also heard leaving it with floating fruit or a big yeast cake can cause off flavors. Also, racking and leaving the sediment behind helps the clearing start earlier.

Bonjourmate said:
Are ciders prone to blow off? Would it be wise to just add yeast to a gallon jug and allow it to ferment?

The first night it looked like there was going to be some issues but it contained it's self

MarkKF said:
I also heard leaving it with floating fruit or a big yeast cake can cause off flavors. Also, racking and leaving the sediment behind helps the clearing start earlier.

I have been hear this a lit as well. But mainly with mead and wine I was not sure if ciders were different

I hope not as the blackberry cider I made this past Sunday has fruit and maybe some yeast floating on top. I figured the fruit would sink eventually.

ForumRunner_20120720_080631.jpg

Vox said:
I hope not as the blackberry cider I made this past Sunday has fruit and maybe some yeast floating on top. I figured the fruit would sink eventually.

I racked the fluid off the fruit when it lost most of the color, approx 8 days if I remember.

image-71291963.jpg

Hmm. The recipe says to leave it in the primary for 30 days then rack into secondary with more fresh fruit.

So all the bubbles have stopped and the cider looks still. But every once and a while I see what looks like a chunk of yeast shoot up to the top and then float back down. Any one know why? I am super new to home brewing. Also I have been reading about clearing agents. Are they needed in cider? And how do they effect the flavir

Back