Cider Contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crabmeat

Reaction score
My cider stinks and taste like vinegar and has some very foamy and large bubbles on the top when it ferments. Its almost like the kind of foam you see in a creek after it floods. The smell of it when I lifted the lid to siphon actually hurt my nose. Does that means shes contaiminated?

I've only made one cider, but with the exception of the foamy bubbles, you are describing exactly what mine did. Months one through six, it tasted strongly of vomit. Six months plus, the taste was dry and refreshing.

Yeah it's sounds like it is shot to drink, but the good news is you will never have to buy vinegar again in your life.

Seriously, you should let it go and bottle some of the vinegar, it is good for cleaning, etc. You might even be able to sneak some bottle to some people as Christmas gifts, maybe.

when its vinegar its vinegar all the patience in the world ain't going to turn it into something drinkable (unless you love vinegar of course)

Vermicous said:
I've only made one cider, but with the exception of the foamy bubbles, you are describing exactly what mine did. Months one through six, it tasted strongly of vomit. Six months plus, the taste was dry and refreshing.

So wait, if I wait it will be good cider, or in 6 months it will be bad vinegar that taste like cider?

if you can honestly, honestly taste strong vinegar then its fupped (i know you want to hold onto the notion its ok, i'v been there!!) if its only mildly acetic ie still drinkable keg it (acetobacter can't grow without oxygen) and think about taking a leaf out of the juice fermentors and add 1 campden tablet per gallon and drink it quickish!

Vermicous is that after the Vermicous knids from the great glass elavator??
You have to give roald Dahl his dues, im in my thirtys and occasionaly i'll pick up a dahl book for a night time read, charlie and the choc factory/great glass/ and danny champion of the world are amongst my fav books of all time.
Can't wait to have kids so i can read them these treasures!!

Yep, it's from Dahl. Loved him as a kid and am starting to build up a collection to read to my daughter.

I picked up the second Charlie book recently and reread it only to discover that for 10 years of going by this handle I have been misspelling it. Supposed to be Vermicious. Oh well.

As for the cider, I hope that some more experienced cider brewers will chime in or if some of the others that have posted are more experienced, please tell me if I am off base, but I understand that this is the natural progression for cider. Horrible smell and taste for many months before finally cleaning up.

Never mind, I think I finally understand what delboy is saying. If it truely tastes like vinegar, use it in your garden or for salads. If it only tastes and smells sour, that's just how green cider tastes.

Back