Cider cask conditioned???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnslater

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm bottling my cider and and I noticed when checking gravity that it is lightly carbonated out of the Carboy. Bubbles in the test beaker and the sampling glass. It carbed in my 68 degree basement and had a regular airlock, so no pressure during the 4 week primary. Is there something about cider that would cause it to have residual carbonation from my cool basement? Ingredients were apple juice and Nottingham ale yeast.

So I'm bottling my cider and and I noticed when checking gravity that it is lightly carbonated out of the Carboy. Bubbles in the test beaker and the sampling glass. It carbed in my 68 degree basement and had a regular airlock, so no pressure during the 4 week primary. Is there something about cider that would cause it to have residual carbonation from my cool basement? Ingredients were apple juice and Nottingham ale yeast.

So what is the current gravity reading?

Oddly, it initially read almost 1.020' but I noticed a lot of bubbles at the bottom of the hydrometer, I knocked the container against the counter a few times to release the bubbles and it then measured 1.010' about what I expected with Nottingham.

Dissolved CO2 is my guess. Did you stabilize and degas or were you planning on carbing it?

Its completely normal for a liquid that has undergone fermentation to have dissolved CO2 in it. That is why you have to degas wine before clearing/bottling.

I primed and bottled. I know a little carbonation is normal, just was surprised at so many bubbles. Only my second cider, so I was mainly curious if cider holds carbonation more during fermentation.

Back